roses are red....

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Post Reply
User avatar
Ryan Mazzocco
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:01 pm
Location: Joplin, MO
Contact:

roses are red....

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Here's a computer mock-up I'm making for a customer.
The question is, what is a good inlay material for red rose? I've found some stone that would work, but I've never inlaid stone and don't know much about working with it. I haven't found a shell that would work. There's plenty of red colored woods, but I'm afraid they will fade or oxidize into a darker color and get lost in the fretboard. It needs to jump out. Ideas?
Attachments
rose1small.PNG

User avatar
Peter Wilcox
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:31 am
Location: Northeastern California

Re: roses are red....

Post by Peter Wilcox »

You could try dying bone red. I don't know how well it would work, or how well unfinished bone would hold up on the fret board with regard to sweat and dirt, though you could coat it with CA or something. I've inlaid bone on head stocks, and dyed a bone nut black with ink. Just a thought.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it

User avatar
Ryan Mazzocco
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:01 pm
Location: Joplin, MO
Contact:

Re: roses are red....

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Peter Wilcox wrote:You could try dying bone red. I don't know how well it would work, or how well unfinished bone would hold up on the fret board with regard to sweat and dirt, though you could coat it with CA or something. I've inlaid bone on head stocks, and dyed a bone nut black with ink. Just a thought.
That's something i had not thought of. Thanks for the idea

Jason Rodgers
Posts: 1554
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:05 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: roses are red....

Post by Jason Rodgers »

You'll want to experiment with the depth of dye on the bone, as inlay material is often set proud of the surface and then sanded with the fretboard radius. I've bought some Fiebing's leather dye as a stand-in for TransTint (at about 1/4 the price), so that would be a less expensive route to take for experimenting.

Check out some of the stuff available at Woodcraft, like InLace inlay products. There are also acrylic pen turning blanks that come in a wide variety of bright colors.

Also, somewhere here on the MIMF is a thread on bright red inlay material started by David King. He needed to make inlays on a bass fretboard that looked like drops of blood. I saw it, and it was definitely convincing!
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.

JC Whitney
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:19 am

Re: roses are red....

Post by JC Whitney »

Have you considered Corian (aka "solid surfacing material")? Most manufacturers and kitchen cabinet vendors have 2"x2" or larger samples available. It's comes in 1/2" and 1/4" thicknesses, glues well with CA, and is easy as pie to shape and thickness. If you search for "red corian" on ebay you'll find a bunch of options - one of the first I saw was for 5"x8" pieces for about $8.00. Be careful with veined patterns, as they can surprise you when sanding. What starts out as a nice subtle vein can darken or lighten significantly as you sand down into the material.

User avatar
Ryan Mazzocco
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:01 pm
Location: Joplin, MO
Contact:

Re: roses are red....

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

JC Whitney wrote:Have you considered Corian (aka "solid surfacing material")? Most manufacturers and kitchen cabinet vendors have 2"x2" or larger samples available. It's comes in 1/2" and 1/4" thicknesses, glues well with CA, and is easy as pie to shape and thickness. If you search for "red corian" on ebay you'll find a bunch of options - one of the first I saw was for 5"x8" pieces for about $8.00. Be careful with veined patterns, as they can surprise you when sanding. What starts out as a nice subtle vein can darken or lighten significantly as you sand down into the material.
That's actually a really good idea and I now feel dumb for not having thought of it. Thanks to everyone so far who has helped.

User avatar
Ryan Mazzocco
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:01 pm
Location: Joplin, MO
Contact:

Re: roses are red....

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

I used a sample of Indus Red Corian and retouched the mock up. I like the deeper color and more textured look than just the flat bright red.
Attachments
rose indus red 1 small.PNG

User avatar
Barry Daniels
Posts: 2635
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:58 am
Location: The Woodlands, Texas

Re: roses are red....

Post by Barry Daniels »

MIMF Staff

Gordon Bellerose
Posts: 1186
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 11:47 pm
Location: Edmonton AB. Canada

Re: roses are red....

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

I have heard of guys using old CD's.
I think if you look around you may still find colored CD's.
I'm not sure how red they may look if inlayed into dark wood.
Just a thought....
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!

David King
Posts: 2682
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:01 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: roses are red....

Post by David King »

The Inlace material was dead easy to mix up and slather into the laser-routed cavities. I had to darken the bright red of the Inlace using some powdered red pearlescent additive. Also on open-pored fingerboards the inlace will get into the grain. I sealed my board and the cavities with a couple of coats of CA just to make sure the red wouldn't migrate into the end-grain. If you have access to someone with a laser cutter they'd be done with this in a matter of minutes. If you don't have access to a CNC engraver or laser then the inlace will only look as good as your cavities so you might be better off with the traditional methods.
Attachments
inlaceredinlay.jpg
inlaceredinlay.jpg (11.89 KiB) Viewed 15384 times

User avatar
Barry Daniels
Posts: 2635
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:58 am
Location: The Woodlands, Texas

Re: roses are red....

Post by Barry Daniels »

That's a nice red. It looks like it works well in the finer areas.
MIMF Staff

David King
Posts: 2682
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:01 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: roses are red....

Post by David King »

Thanks Barry,
I can't imagine having done three of these inlays any other way. Many of the cavities were pinhole sized.

User avatar
Ryan Mazzocco
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:01 pm
Location: Joplin, MO
Contact:

Re: roses are red....

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Thanks everyone for your ideas. This project is still a couple months away, but I just wanted to get a head start on some of the ideas.

User avatar
Barry Daniels
Posts: 2635
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:58 am
Location: The Woodlands, Texas

Re: roses are red....

Post by Barry Daniels »

A little bit off subject, but I was looking around for another type of ablam that I think I saw (may have been in the preliminary stage) but I found this visual tool on the Duke of Pearl's website that simulates what different types of pearl look like in 3 different woods. Click on the "Materials Finder" button on the right.

http://www.dukeofpearl.com
MIMF Staff

User avatar
Ryan Mazzocco
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:01 pm
Location: Joplin, MO
Contact:

Re: roses are red....

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Barry Daniels wrote:A little bit off subject, but I was looking around for another type of ablam that I think I saw (may have been in the preliminary stage) but I found this visual tool on the Duke of Pearl's website that simulates what different types of pearl look like in 3 different woods. Click on the "Materials Finder" button on the right.

http://www.dukeofpearl.com
Fantastic. Thanks Barry

Paul E Buerk
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:25 pm

Re: roses are red....

Post by Paul E Buerk »

I've used red Reconstituted Stone. Pretty easy to work with.

Post Reply