Bass bushing too small for hole, epoxy fix or ?

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Jedi Clampett

Bass bushing too small for hole, epoxy fix or ?

Post by Jedi Clampett »

My bass bushings are a little small for the headstock tuner hole, they fit the tuners fine, but the bushing has a 5/8" od and the hole is a little bigger. Am wondering is a little liquid weld would do the trick. The tuners are already mounted. The alternative I see is plugging he holes and redrilling. The bushing are press in. Any suggestions?
Barry Daniels

Re: Bass bushing too small for hole, epoxy fix or ?

Post by Barry Daniels »

Take a small shaving from a wood plane, add a little glue and fit into the hole. After drying, ream to fit.
MIMF Staff
David King

Post by David King »

A wrap or two of brown freezer (binding) tape around the bushings works for me.
Randolph Rhett

Post by Randolph Rhett »

I would plug and re-drill. I am always the guy trying to fix something, and then it bugs me forever. My new year's resolution now includes, "I will not do any more seat of the pants fixes on a guitar."
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

A thin layer of latex caulk would provide enough stickage, but still allow for their eventual removal if necessary.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”