New tuners, plastic keystone buttons are loose

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Mike Sayre

New tuners, plastic keystone buttons are loose

Post by Mike Sayre »

Guys and gals-
I installed new (Wilkinson) keystone-button tuners, a have quite a rattle. Seems to be the button on the B string tuner. Since I have little hope that an application of ACC on the shaft will wick anywhere enough to address this, whattaya think about me drilling a .030-.040" hole in the button terminating at the shaft, and wicking some some glue in that way?
thx-
Mike Sayre
David King

Re: New tuners, plastic keystone buttons are loose

Post by David King »

For starters ACC glue was new to me so I looked it up and it's " Alpha Cyanoacrylate Cement" or what we call CA around here. A thin viscosity CA should have no trouble wicking into the deepest recesses of a plastic tuner button though it might take several applications to fill any voids as it does shrink a bit after it sets up.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”