Body end truss rod adjuster

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Brian Evans

Body end truss rod adjuster

Post by Brian Evans »

Has anyone done one lately? My 1942 Epiphone has one, but it is the "pusher" type compression truss rod. I am looking at a fairly extensive peghead inlay on my current build that would make a truss rod cover problematic, so I have been thinking about extending an adjuster through the fingerboard extension and adjusting from that end.

Brian
Michael Lewis

Re: Body end truss rod adjuster

Post by Michael Lewis »

This shouldn't be a problem. Mount the rod as deep as you normally would and use a long Allen wrench for access. The "ball tipped" Allen wrenches allow engagement at an angle, so that could help a bit in the design stage.
Paul E Buerk

Post by Paul E Buerk »

I did it once, but probably won't ever do it again. When the nut was tightened, the end of the rod dipped down so that the nut was rubbing the top of the guitar.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Make a side view drawing of your intended guitar, and you will see how it can be done. The beauty of making the drawing is that you have the opportunity to make any adjustments to the structure BEFORE you cut any wood and commit to a design. Make it happen.

The problem with this arrangement is if you need to have a floating pickup at the end of the fingerboard. It could be in the way of making an adjustment. You can get around that by making the pickup 'reasonably' easy to remove.

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”