cherry for neck?

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Tom Martin

cherry for neck?

Post by Tom Martin »

My son is building a Cherry OM guitar. He has sourced some sweet looking wavy cherry for the back and sides. The top is going to be Redwood. He was wondering about using cherry for the neck and blocking also. Does anyone have any experience in building an acoustic steel string neck from cherry? Any thought? thanks in advance. When we looked at Martin's sustainable wood cherry guitar, we noticed that the neck is mahogany.
Bryan Bear

Re: cherry for neck?

Post by Bryan Bear »

I have not used cherry for a neck but I will be on one of my next projects. I'm quite sure you will get several responses saying it is a great wood for necks; this has come up on these fora before. . . Are you planning to use the figured cherry for the neck or are you planning to use straight grained stock there?
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Tom Martin

Post by Tom Martin »

The neck and blocks would be as close to quarter sawn, straight grained wood as possible. Really not looking to do a lamination either at this point.
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

I've made several necks from cherry. I'm careful to use straight grained wood. It's strong, not too heavy, and relatively easy to carve. When I use a cherry neck, I make the head block from the same wood. I usually use spruce for the tail block just to make a lighter guitar.
Victor Seal

Post by Victor Seal »

I built an OM with cherry back, sides and neck with a redwood top. Turned out great and the new owner loves it. I laminated the neck with maple. C\M\C\M\C. Also bound it with curly maple.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

In the teens Gibson used a cherry wood insert in the mahogany mandolin necks to reinforce them. They are fairly short and wide necks by today's standards but most of them I have seen are still quite good, and that's about a hundred years of string tension.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

I love the wood, and use it for necks all the time. Works great, finishes well.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Tom Martin

Post by Tom Martin »

Victor Seal wrote:I built an OM with cherry back, sides and neck with a redwood top. Turned out great and the new owner loves it. I laminated the neck with maple. C\M\C\M\C. Also bound it with curly maple.
Was the lamination for strength or aesthetics? Any pics? Thanks.
Joel Nowland

Post by Joel Nowland »

I have been using cherry for necks for many years, it's wonderful!

My favorite.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”