Guess this wood

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Dale Penrose

Guess this wood

Post by Dale Penrose »

Guess what this dulcimer is made from. Hint, it's domestic, one doesn't have to buy tropical woods to get this quality.Image Image
Daryl Kosinski

Re: Guess this wood

Post by Daryl Kosinski »

Cherry
Dan Smith

Post by Dan Smith »

Dyed Sycamore?
Ever-body was kung fu fight-in,
Them kids was fast as light-nin.
Dale Penrose

Post by Dale Penrose »

It is sweet gum, osage orange binding and black walnut fret board. All local woods!
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I like the rays in that quartered sweetgum. I've neverhandled any sweetgum. It that the natural color is it dyed?
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Dale Penrose

Post by Dale Penrose »

That is the natural color.
Bob Shanklin

Post by Bob Shanklin »

Cherry
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

wow. I'm impressed. I thought the only thing sweet gum was good for was turning your ankles.
but seriously, I love this stuff. I'm building all of my guitars from domestic woods. I realize that I'm going against tradition and we've got a long way to get the buyers to understand that a good guitar doesn't have to be made of exotic imports that are expensive and becoming endangered. there are plenty of awesome trees right here. (I'm speaking, of course of the U.S., but I'm sure the same goes for just about anywhere)
Dale Penrose

Post by Dale Penrose »

My favorite source of hardwood is Lumber Logs LLC. Here is a quote from them, "Lumber Logs is an urban log recycler in St. Louis. We collect lumber-worthy logs that normally would end up being ground up, burned or buried in a landfill and see that they get a more noble end. We select a few logs that deserve to be more than pallets or RR ties and have them sawn into the lumber listed below."
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Lumber logs is great! I'v sawn a number of sets from their wood. In fact, any day now they will be taking the trunks from the two trees in my front yard. I may even end up buying a board of it back some day.

I may have to look for some sweetgum next time I'm there. That quartered wood looks almost as no was quartered sycamore but I like the color (heart wood I assume) better.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”