Zebrano for om acoustic with cutaway?

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Luke Ashington

Zebrano for om acoustic with cutaway?

Post by Luke Ashington »

Hi all, thanks for the add. Looking forward to reading up on this forum!

I am a joiner/furniture maker and have played acoustic for many years. I have always wanted to build my own guitar and the time has finally come! I am reading all I can on the subject and watching copious videos. My question is, what are people's thoughts on Zebrano for the back and sides. I.e, workability, finish, and sound etc. it is one of my favourite species and would love to use it. Although it doesn't seem to be very expensive tonewood, this could be ideal if something goes wrong!

Thank you for reading

Luke
Rodger Knox

Re: Zebrano for om acoustic with cutaway?

Post by Rodger Knox »

I believe that's what is also known as zebra wood, and it has been used as back and sides.
The only bad thing about it is the smell, which is less pleasant than rosewood.
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disreguards the rest. Paul Simon
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

Boy, I'm with you Rodger... reminds me of farrowing units in the winter, definitely not a perfume ingredient.
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

I made a Zebrawood jumbo many years ago. It was a very successful guitar. It sounded quite nice and it had a distinctive look. I think I remember that it liked to crack along the grain when bending, so it needs to be supported. The odor reminded me of overused shoes.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Rosewood smells like roses, zebra wood smells like. . . <g>

I've not made a guitar with it but I have seen several on the various fora. It is not super common but definitely not uncharted territory. I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I hade a large enough board.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Luke Ashington

Post by Luke Ashington »

Thanks for your input guys. Looks like I'll be wearing a mask haha. It's about £50/$80 for a book matched back and ribs so I'll get them to get started with.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”