Birch neck tone & feel?

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Dave Locher

Birch neck tone & feel?

Post by Dave Locher »

How would those who have used it described the tone & feel of a birch neck compared to maple & mahogany for a solidbody electric? I am not familiar with birch.
Dave Locher

Re: Birch neck tone & feel?

Post by Dave Locher »

I can't figure out how to edit my post, but I meant to say maple OR mahogany.
I just learned that Ibanez made a spruce neck/spruce top les Paul in the '70s and wondered how that would compare to maple for sound & feel? The jazzy model I had was maple neck & top, but the more "rocking" model specified spruce.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Do you see the "edit" button on the lower right?
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Dave Locher

Post by Dave Locher »

No. I see a quote button on the bottom right, and two on the bottom left (profile and pm) and that's it. I'm using an iPhone, not a computer; maybe that's why?
Edit: it showed up on this post as soon as I hit submit. I guess I lost the edit option on the first post because I logged out and then back in? (I have to log in every time I come back even when I select the "automatically log me back in when I return" option.)
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

The edit button is only there for 30 minutes after a post.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Oh, thanks Charlie! I forgot that Staff have that button there all the time.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Dave Locher

Post by Dave Locher »

So...about the birch.
Is it similar in feel & tone to maple? Or is there some noticeable difference? I'm just wondering why Ibanez would use it for a neck? (Or claim to in an ad - the "maple" top on the pf350 was thin plywood with a nice flame veneer so who knows.)
Stephen Neal Saqui

Post by Stephen Neal Saqui »

Ibanez didn't use it for the sound. Probably for the cost...they're a factory and they think that way.

Birch is similar to maple and would probably make a good neck depending on the stability of the piece of wood. By that I mean if it doesn't react to humidity changes. For instance, I have a customer who had an Ibanez bass with a maple neck. If the heat or humidity changed during a gig the neck would bow forward or back. Fortunately he could correct it by adjusting the tension rod but it became such a nuisance he got rid of it.

I like Birch but haven't used it for necks yet. I would, though, if it was on the quarter.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”