String spacing 8 string bass

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Jeff Mills

String spacing 8 string bass

Post by Jeff Mills »

I'm currently building my first 8 string octave 33 1/4" scale electric bass filiing my own saddles and nut. I can find no standards anywhere on the string spacing (inbetween) strings. I drew up a full size drawing and 1/16" (inbetween) the octave pair looks good on paper. Bass strings vibrate a lot and I'm a little conserned about the octave pair hitting each other - expecially the bigger guages.

My string gauges are "standard"
105/45
80/35
65/30
45/20

whats your thoughts on 1/16" inbetween strings?
Experience is a strange thing - You get it right after you needed it.
David King

Re: String spacing 8 string bass

Post by David King »

Jeff,
Minimum 1/8" between strings at nut and closer to 3/16" at the bridge. You might get away with 1/8" at both ends and possibly a little less on the D and G strings but it all depends how you play. There's a reason most of the 8 and 12 string players play with a pick.
Jeff Mills

Re: String spacing 8 string bass

Post by Jeff Mills »

Thank you David 1/8" between strings will be my starting point. I'm going to invert the strings for finger playing mainly.
Experience is a strange thing - You get it right after you needed it.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”