Cookie Tin Banjo

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Mark Lethbridge

Cookie Tin Banjo

Post by Mark Lethbridge »

I am in the process of building a five string cookie tin banjo. Having checked out the internet I am a little confused when it comes to fret spacing. If I understand correctly sting length is the distance from the nut to the bridge. Having decided that I want this to be a 25 1/4" I found discrepancies from one banjo builder to another. I am using a 9" cookie tin with a maple neck & fret board.
I am about to drill the hole for the 5th string tuning peg and I want to get it in the right place so the string hits the fifth fret properly.
What is the correct or preferable fret spacing?

Thanks,
Mark
John L Young

Re: Cookie Tin Banjo

Post by John L Young »

Hi Mark. There is a number of fret calculators available on line that will give you the correct measurements for the frets.
for example
http://tpn.lowtech.org/tinjola.php
http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Frettin ... tcalc.html

I would suggest you use metric as it is so much easier to measure.

John
Mark Lethbridge

Thanks John, I'ii try it out.

Mark
Jon Whitney

Post by Jon Whitney »

I wrote one of the many fret calculators and it is available to download free, here in the library. it is called WFret and in addition to calculating the fret positions it will print a template you can tape to the fret board for cutting the slots. It only runs on Windows.
Mark Lethbridge

Ok John I'll look it up and try it out.

Thanks,
Mark
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

WFRET works very well.

Make sure your printer is printing to scale.

One of my old printers was perfect. One of my new printers was off scale a little. Measure to be sure you are getting correct printing.
Mark Lethbridge

Important detail to remember. Thanks Steve.
Patrick Hanna

Post by Patrick Hanna »

Hi, Mark,
Follow these guys. Or...order a pre-slotted fret board of your desired length. Not splitting hairs with you, but the length of the nut to the bridge is SCALE length. String length can vary behind the bridge and also from the nut to the tuners. However, we all knew what you were describing, and, as I say, you have received good advice from the other posters. Good luck on your banjo and PLEASE let us see it when it's finished. I love cookie tin and cigar box banjos. I've never made one of those, but I love to see them. I think they are cool.

Patrick
Mark Lethbridge

Hello Patrick,
Thanks for your advice and enthusiasm. Pictures are soon to follow as soon as I down load them from my phone. My fret board is cut and ready to be mounted to the neck. Waiting on fret wire to arrive.

Mark

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”