what's it called...

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Randy Roberts

what's it called...

Post by Randy Roberts »

I am needing a couple things and can't find them to order because I can't figure out what to call them:

1. I need tubing, 1-2 inches long, that is threaded down it's entire inside length.

2. I need some threaded bolt or machine screw like things with wide flat heads to screw into the threaded tube.

3. and last, I need some 1/2 in long, quarter inch or 3/16 diameter brass rod with a "shoulder" or stop ring around it's midpoint.

Sorry to ask but, I get nothing but glazed retinas trying to look through MSC catalogs or the web, and I've tried searching for every term I can dream up, getting nowhere
Attachments
parts-mimf.jpg
Jamie Unden

Re: what's it called...

Post by Jamie Unden »

#1 can be a threaded stand-off. Does it have to be round?

http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/elect ... fgodSRMAIQ

$2 is a knock-down bolt.

http://www.rockler.com/hardware/fastene ... fgodSRMAIQ

#3 - no idea...
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

1. Those are called standoffs in the electric world. They usually come in round or hex shape. Here is one from MSC: http://www.mscdirect.com/product/67720680?fromRR=Y. Your 3/16" diameter is probably otherwise known as a 10-32 thread. #10 hardware is 0.1900 and 3/16" is 0.1875.

2. They are also called connecting bolts, and often come with a threaded mate: http://www.homedepot.com/s/connector%2520bolt?NCNI-5

3. These are sometimes called splicer unions. Here's a part that is almost what you are looking for: http://www.mscdirect.com/product/01795392?fromRR=Y
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

Thanks!

The stand offs I think will be just the ticket.

The knockdown bolts also but they would be used in both ends of the standoffs, so matching thread might be a problem? Are standoffs available in as course a thread as the usual knockdown bolts?

#3 I need it to be solid, not like the barbed connectors or splicers
They will be used as a registration stud, to fit into a corresponding hole opposite. I can probably get away with just a short length of brass rod, but the shoulder would be a definite improvement if I can get it. I've seen this used in something but god knows when, so I know it exists.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

#3 could be turned easily with a lathe.
MIMF Staff
Lee Passmoor

Post by Lee Passmoor »

Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

I think Lee nailed #3. I have seen similar things for joining tubes on shelving units, but couldn't find one while searching. Living near Baltimore I was flabbergasted that I had never heard of Baltimore Hardware, only to find out they are based in Virginia, not Baltimore.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

I spent a good long while on McMaster-Carr and other sites looking for bits and pieces for my lathe, so I understand that point of frustration when you say, "Damnit, this thing must exist... but what the hell do you CALL it?!" And I got the answers here, too!

Unless there will be patent risk, please post pictures of whatever it is you're building, Randy!
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

Barry,

Turning them seemed to me to be a simple solution, but I have no lathe or turning experience. It's a shame that Jason didn't pick up on your subtle hint to him, what with his fancy new toy, that he should turn these for me.....<g>

Lee,
I think I agree with Jim, I think you nailed it. I'll have to see there is a size that would work.

Jason,
I can't think of much that frustrates me more than this snipe hunt for stuff I know is out there because I've seen it, and can't figure out a term to search it out with.
As for what this is for, it's kind of embarrassing to say. For about three years now I can't get out of my mind that what the world is really crying out for is a theorbo (the original harp guitar<g>) with a neck that folds in half for travel, and an adjustable neck. I think if I can get this figured out, all three of the world's theorbo players will be beating a path to my door. I think this might just be my best shot at fame and riches, and that neck extension for the base strings... man, the women can't take their eyes off that thing. There's also the fact that, as you know, I've been trying for quite some time to be committed, and they just keep coming back saying "Nope, too sane". This'll show 'em.

This is my first stab at a bowl backed instrument, and boy is it ever a different world. I could sure use a website like MIMF for those types of instruments, but it may be that those guys aren't as in to sharing information as the guitar community is.
Daryl Kosinski

Post by Daryl Kosinski »

See if these could do what you want.
http://www.boltdepot.com/Sex_bolts_and_ ... crews.aspx
Al Dodson

Post by Al Dodson »

Hi Randy,

How many of the brass pieces do you need; I will turn them for you if its not dozens. Drop me an email and let me know the dimensions. I would rather do your project than real work. I am quickly building up a sensitivity to it (work) and break out in terrible cursing fits when I am forced to.
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

Jeez Daryl,

Sex bolts and mating screws.... what would your mother think of viewing sites like that?
Do you know if they make them with a longer shaft? (seriously)

Al,

Thanks, that's a generous offer!
I think I might accomplish what I want with brass tube and rod, but I might just contact you down the road.
David King

Post by David King »

I'm not aware of any stand-offs that are threaded through and through. Taps aren't generally long enough. Standoffs will be threaded in a short way from each end but the threads won't align. The rod coupling nuts will be threaded continuously but they will be hex shaped and not terribly long.

You can make or buy a deep hole tap with a gunpont tap, a cordless drill and a grinder. You can also buy "pulley taps" which are even longer and could be modified as needed.

You might want to look at ladder bolts for the wide flat head

I can do any longer lathe runs if need-be. I also have important work to avoid.

OK for #3 look at these:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#alignment-dowels/=qohbd3
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

Bingo!
Thanks David,
I think the alignment pins are just the ticket
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Randy Roberts wrote: As for what this is for, it's kind of embarrassing to say. For about three years now I can't get out of my mind that what the world is really crying out for is a theorbo (the original harp guitar<g>) with a neck that folds in half for travel, and an adjustable neck. I think if I can get this figured out, all three of the world's theorbo players will be beating a path to my door. I think this might just be my best shot at fame and riches, and that neck extension for the base strings... man, the women can't take their eyes off that thing. There's also the fact that, as you know, I've been trying for quite some time to be committed, and they just keep coming back saying "Nope, too sane". This'll show 'em.

This is my first stab at a bowl backed instrument, and boy is it ever a different world. I could sure use a website like MIMF for those types of instruments, but it may be that those guys aren't as in to sharing information as the guitar community is.
Until this last paragraph, I thought April Fools had come early. A theorbo? That's hard-core! What was your gateway drug? A vihuela? Lute? Oud?
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

Jason,
no gateway... learning curves are for sissies.
Attachments
mold-corrected-1.jpg
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Nice! It can be a new staved period instrument cry to battle: Go theorbo, or go home!
David King

Post by David King »

And you can paddle it across a raging stream too.

Return to “Jam Session”