Is this worth fixing

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Christ Kacoyannakis

Is this worth fixing

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

I was given this broken 1/2 cello. I don't make violins or cellos, but the donor knows my hobby is lutherie. There is a crack on the back under the soundpost and a few on the edges. I could probably fix these up with a little hide glue. I called the shop that sold this. It is a $30 a month student rental instrument from 2004. I thought I could fix it up and give it to the elementary school in town for kids to use at school if they forget their instrument, or a loaner to somebody who may not be able to afford renting one. Just wondering if it worth my time to fix? Thanks. [quote][/quote]
Attachments
backcrack.jpg
backcrack.jpg (5.3 KiB) Viewed 8842 times
edge crack.jpg
edge crack.jpg (4.25 KiB) Viewed 8842 times
Greg Steil

Re: Is this worth fixing

Post by Greg Steil »

If you repair this and put it in the hands of a student musician that needs it, and the stuff you learn doing it makes it priceless.
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Well put!
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Christ, go to your local library and request the Weisshaar and Shipman violin repair book, "Violin Restoration, a manual for violin makers" . It's a bit pricy to buy but should be available from your local library via inter library loan.
Christ Kacoyannakis

Thanks for the advice. Somebody told me to just toss it; that it was a goner. I almost did, but then I just couldn't bring myself to throw an instrument into the trash. Especially after seeing a post on one of the forums about a video of some people in a third world country that are making instruments out of trash, just so the kids will have something to play.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

It will be a great educational experience and expand your knowledge if you fix this instrument. There are standaard repairs for these issues, so get hold of the Weisshaar book. You will be glad you did.
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

My own cello was thrown from a bridge (on purpose!) during the making of a movie and came to me in a box of pieces. It is now a respectable instrument, from what was once someone's "trash." If you don't want a cello, fix it and pass it on, as others have suggested. Any local school would probably be happy to have it.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Wayne Brown

Post by Wayne Brown »

My violin was in a pile of trash on the side of the road waiting to be hauled to the landfill. It was rescued by someone and passed on to me. I am a guitar builder mainly, but the experience of restoring has been valuable and a lot of fun. You can see it in Chet Bishop's thread about an "Old fiddle story(Great-Great Grandfather's Fiddle).
Christ Kacoyannakis

This evening, I went to the library and requested the repair book through inter-library loan.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

You will be pleased with the book. It is like a master class education in violin family repair.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”