Gap Filler For Bolteron Binding

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Gonwa

Gap Filler For Bolteron Binding

Post by Steve Gonwa »

To fill a gap between the ends of binding, I know that regular plastic binding can be melted into a filler paste by soaking it in acetone. Can the same be done with Bolteron binding material ? Or because it's a PVC plastic, is a different solvent required ?

Steve
Michael Lewis

Re: Gap Filler For Bolteron Binding

Post by Michael Lewis »

It depends on which Boltaron you have. I had some that could be 'melted' with MEK and just softened with acetone. I would cut a piece to fill the gap, or better yet cut the binding back a couple inches and splice a new piece in with your joint well fitted. People will see the joint and probably not the splice as it is away from the joint. Scrupulously clean hands, cut and fit perfectly, it won't show when done.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Another possibility would be to use Kampel seamfil to fill small gaps. You can buy it from cabinet shops or kitchen showrooms, or maybe just as easily - eBay. It comes in a multiplicity of colors which can be mixed to match whatever is being filled.
Steve Gonwa

Post by Steve Gonwa »

Thanks for the suggestions. Last resort I will try the splice method. I tried the MEK with negative results. It softened but doesn't melt the material, same as Acetone. I'm experimenting with an $2.98 bottle of clear PVC primer ( the kind used to prime PVC pipes ). It softens the material according to the directyions, so we'll see how that responds. I'm waiting for a response direct from LMI. Since so many manufacturers are using Boltaron, there must be a commonly used filler. I can't be the only one making mistakes !
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Cabinetmakers would use the seamfil, but PVC edgebanding is so cheap they are just as likely to remove and rebind.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”