Lefty body and pick guard search

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Ross Barkley

Lefty body and pick guard search

Post by Ross Barkley »

Yes, I read the forum rules and frankly I'm still not sure if this will get me banned or not so for this post I'll just paste in the reply I got from a company whose initials are "SM":
"We do not sell left hand pickguards and bodies.  I certainly understand your frustration, as I too am a Lefty. You might check with the Musical Instrument Makers Forum for more information regarding a source for those products. "
Any suggestions out there?
Ross
Dave Higham

Re: Lefty body and pick guard search

Post by Dave Higham »

They sell pickguard material, so you could make your own and buy the body somewhere else.
Google is your friend.
https://www.google.fr/search?q=l+h+guit ... +&tbm=isch
John Kingma

Post by John Kingma »

For the lefties I've built I was able to find lefty parts at AllParts... but I don't know about bodies and pickguards, as I make my own.
John Kingma,
Builder of Fine Sawdust & Expensive Kindling
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I don't know what type instrument you are thinking of, but here's some pick guards and hardware: http://store.guitarfetish.com/Lefty-Parts_c_437.html and http://www.dragonfireguitars.com/Southp ... on_c19.htm

One lefty body of unknown quality, but the price is right: http://store.guitarfetish.com/Satin-Fin ... _9053.html#

You might email them and ask if they have any others:

Of course, if you don't mind the price, these guys could make you a left body: http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Be ... ilder.aspx
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Ben Castellana

Post by Ben Castellana »

I'm a lefty, and I build mostly to support my own habit. The market for lefty parts has definitely improved, but it's still infuriatingly limited. What specifically are you looking to do?
Attachments
I built most of the lefties on this wall, with the exception of the strat and the Beatle Bass.
I built most of the lefties on this wall, with the exception of the strat and the Beatle Bass.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

There, I fixed your picture for you. The other way, it was so hard to look at!! :lol:
Now there's only a couple that are just wrong. It's a right handed world! :D
Attachments
leftieFlip.jpg
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Ross Barkley

Post by Ross Barkley »

Chuck, just when I started salivating, you flipped the image!

Strat shape, but that 25.5" string length is a tad too long for my taste.
Fitting on a PRS-length neck: would it be heretical, or just a "bad" idea?
Art Davila

Post by Art Davila »

I buy bodies from a guy on ebay that does cnc guitars and the prices are fair I also buy from a guy who does short run or one offs from the designs you supply but he does not do necks I believe he has very good prices as well.
And lastly there is a member here who sells plans for a variety of guitars,
and he can move the pickup placement and bridge placement to accommodate the change in scale length.
I have dealt with all 3 and they provide great product and service.

I don't believe I am supposed to write their info so PM me and I will give you their contact info.
I have a lot of experience on how "not" to do things.
David King

Post by David King »

Art, You can't post links to your own commercial website or to anyone's live eBay auctions. You are more than welcome to give out the names and even post links to other commercial websites as long as you are not repeatedly promoting one business to the exclusion of all others. We are here to exchange information. Having to contact you privately defeats the purpose of a public forum. At least that's my interpretation of the purpose of the rules. I'll admit that there are way too many "don'ts" and not nearly enough "dos" the way they are written now. You need a full-time lawyer to interpret them all consistently.
http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=574
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

David, thanks and you are right, so go ahead with the info Art! Things aren't so tight around here these days.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Art Davila

Post by Art Davila »

Ok then here are some people I have done business with who seem to be able to work on custom orders.

jamie@guitarplansunlimited.com Who has many plans, that can easily be printed in reverse for lefty

wendiramone.501 on ebay
he has made me one billybo body and will do another to work with a 24 fret ibanez neck which means re positioning the bridge and pickups

perleguita​rs001 also from ebay and he has a web site too. http://perleguitars.com/

I have purchased bodies from him and he does cnc so flipping a design should not be hard.
He mostly does Ibanez body designs but has done some customization for me,
and has said he can do a one off from blueprints but there will be a set up charge.
I did not find his rate to be very high, but some people might. You get what you pay for sometimes.
All of these business had treated me well even thou I am not a major builder I just buy a few here and there.
I have a lot of experience on how "not" to do things.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Things aren't so tight around here these days.
Yea, I can jack with someone's photo and get away with it!! :D
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
David King

Post by David King »

Just watch your back Chuck. Deb could show up and administer a surprise slap at any time.
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

David King wrote:Just watch your back Chuck. Deb could show up and administer a surprise slap at any time.
I believe this disciplinary action is known as a "Whap!" :oops:
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”