Brazilian Cherry for fretboard?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Ryan Mazzocco

Brazilian Cherry for fretboard?

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

I have a huge surplus of Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba) left over from a staircase job. I have a few things planned for it, but I was wondering if anyone here has used it for a fretboard, or if you know why it would or would not be a good idea. It's quite hard and very dense.
If so, would I need to put a finish on it or could I leave it raw?
Louie Atienza

Re: Brazilian Cherry for fretboard?

Post by Louie Atienza »

I had a piece that I used for the last instrument challenge. It machined nicely, held frets in well, , and finished nice and smooth. I did do my customary polish with oil and wax....
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I made a neck with jatoba (floorboard) fretboard. It is fretted and has been waiting for me to get back to that project since early fall. It is hard and held the frets well. It was a delight to plane with a sharp iron too. I see no evidence of trouble despite this neck being moved around quite a bit into different environments. A plumbing disaster has left me rebuilding my shop (and kitchen) so it has seen some extreme humidity. QS walnut neck with curly maple bindings if that matters. I oiled it with some Olde English and it looks beautiful; much nicer than the factory floor finish I planed off!
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

great! thanks to both of you for your input.
Bill Snyder

Post by Bill Snyder »

For what it is worth I built a canjo with Jatoba neck and frets installed directly into it with my youngest son when he was nine. He is now 16 and it has held up fine. I did not seal it with anything and I like the way it looks.
Doug Shaker

Post by Doug Shaker »

Has anyone here ever used Bastogne walnut for a fretboard? I like the look of a dark wood for a fretboard, but I don't much want to rely on imported woods anymore.
-Doug Shaker
Eddie McRae

Post by Eddie McRae »

I use american premium black walnut for fretboards quite often. And I've been very pleased with it. I also use alot of premium cherry for bodies, sides, necks, etc. I've never tried it for use as a fretboard though, but I do have several pieces in the shop now already resawn and cut to fretboard blank dimensions with intensions of trying it out.
Karl Hoyt

Post by Karl Hoyt »

Jatoba (brazilian cherry) is the standard wood used for fingerboards on Englehardt upright basses. I build Electric Upright Basses and can't afford the 180 bucks for an ebony fingerboard any longer, so on the advice of a good friend, i got some Jatoba. Haven't milled it into fingerboards yet, but it seems stable and plenty hard: and I only paid about 6 bucks a board foot (I think) this was rough sawn cabinet grade lumber, not deck wood.

I'm also using it to build a fretless 6 string bass guitar fingerboard. I'll report back when I actually get it done.

Karl
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

well if nothing else, y'all have convinced me to give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes.
it'll probably be a while, so don't wait up all night.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”