First scratch built mandolin

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
David Hawn

First scratch built mandolin

Post by David Hawn »

First of all , long time lurker, first time poster. Many thanks to everyone on this forum for all kinds of free knowledge over the years.
Hopefully I've managed to load a couple of pictures of the a style that I finished up a few months ago.I worked on it for quite awhile off and on,it's one of those deals where I would screw something up on it, and it would literally get tossed onto the shelf for up to a year at a time, untill I would decide to mess with it again,and it finally got done.
The top is spruce from stew-mac as well as the hardware . The maple back,ribs neck and blocks came from a 1x6 from the Menards store ( there is also an oak center strip in the neck). The fret board is scrap zebra left over from a bow riser, as is the base of the bridge,the top of the bridge is shedua from a different bow. The end pin is a scrap of osage from a bow. The stain is mohavi red alchohal base arrow stain,and the finish is stew -mac water base.
The flaws are to numerous to recall let alone list, so I'll have to do better next time.

phone 033.jpg
phone 033.jpg (47.81 KiB) Viewed 5516 times
phone 032.jpg
phone 032.jpg (58 KiB) Viewed 5516 times
Attachments
phone 031.jpg
phone 031.jpg (39.98 KiB) Viewed 5516 times
Jason Rodgers

Re: First scratch built mandolin

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Hey, that's nice! Boy, do I know the on-again off-again instrument project(s). How do you like the sound? Can we get a bigger version of the second picture?
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
David Hawn

Post by David Hawn »

Other than being a little weak on the treble ,it sounds alright to me . I'll try to post a little better picture later,just getting those pictures small enough to post about did my feeble little brain in though.
Hans Bezemer

Post by Hans Bezemer »

Nice mandolin, David.
David Hawn

Post by David Hawn »

phone 028.jpg
phone 028.jpg (31.48 KiB) Viewed 5411 times
Attachments
phone 030.jpg
phone 030.jpg (38.17 KiB) Viewed 5411 times