Does anyone know about Fernando Del Perugia

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Barry Guest

Does anyone know about Fernando Del Perugia

Post by Barry Guest »

The label reads "Premiato all Espos Di Torino 1898. Fernando Del Perugia Fece L'Anno 1909 No. 5316. Schmidl + Co. Trieste."

I wondering if anyone knows his work and what this instrument might be worth.
The attachment mandofront.jpg is no longer available
mandofront.jpg
mandoback.jpg
mandohead.jpg
mandotail.jpg
Attachments
mandodetail.jpg
Alumnus of Wood and Strings
Markus Schmid

Re: Does anyone know about Fernando Del Perugia

Post by Markus Schmid »

Hi Barry, I am not a mandolin expert, but looking up Lütgendorff's book Die Geigen und Lautenmacher vom Mittelalter bis zur Gegenwart, Vol.2, 1922, I found the following:
p. 99
p. 99
Del Perugia, Ferdinando. - San Cresci. Florence.
Born 16 Nov. 1857 in Petriolo at
Bruzzi (Florence)
One of the best mandolin makers of today.
From 1872 onwards he concentrated on mandolin
and guitar making, and soon achieved a great reputation. Since
1899 he has been working exclusively for the company C. Schmidl
& Co. in Trieste and Vienna. Del Perugia's Mandolins
are executed perfectly and have several times been rewarded at exhibitions.
According to "google wisdom" he died in 1931 [1], [2].

He seems to have been a very prolific luthier and was referred as a Master Luthier's, and in fact in some publications [3] his pupil Serafino Casini is mentioned.

Although still today his work is highly praised, looking at some online offers of the last two or three years it must be a bit difficult to sell these 100 year old mandolins; they seem not to find a lot of buyers, and offers from as much as more than 600 Euros, down to one I have seen at only 100 Euros (pretty much the same as yours, only that there was no rope purfling and a reported "easy to be repaired" crack without mentioning where on the instrument it appeared) seemed to have not lead to a sale. Some late 19th century Del Perugia mandolins seem to have been sold in the US for about 200 up to 400 $. This makes me think that these Mandolins are exactly as much worth as a used Mandolin which is nicely built and in good working condition. There seems to be no age bonus for 100 years old mandolins - at least not yet. On the other hand, according to Brompton's, in 1998 a Del Perugia mandolin from 1898 was sold at Sotheby's at no less than £ 708.- (but still not a fortune, of course).

Maybe you can find more information on Del Perugia in the book Violin-making in Tuscany, violin-makers of the 20th century. Cremona books, 2004.

Cheers,
Markus
Barry Guest

Post by Barry Guest »

Thanks Markus, that was very helpful.
Alumnus of Wood and Strings
Markus Schmid

Post by Markus Schmid »

You're welcome Barry. Although I had heard of Fernando del Perugia before, it was your forum thread here which triggered my curiosity about this luthier, so thank you too! ;) Of course, without any doubt searching and reading in several languages helped.

The beforehand cited and linked Lütgendorff compedium is a quite helpful and ample resource when researching European luthiers (not only violin makers) from before 1920. It is a freely (and legally) downloadable document, and in its PDF version it is not only an "electronic facsimil" but with its full text OCR overlay also searchable and "copy-pasteable" document which, together with the language translator of your choice renders almost its full value to everybody with internet access. The Lütgendorff book even has a section where some maker's labels are depicted. I only can recommend to everybody interested in the matter, to download it (ca. 56 MB). You can't get more value for no money! ;) 8-)

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”