victoria cypress

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Simon Magennis

victoria cypress

Post by Simon Magennis »

I have seen a European tonewood dealer offering "victoria cypress" but I didn't get a chance to ask what it is. I believe I this term recently. Could it be another name for Alaskan Yellow Cedar?
Clay Schaeffer

Re: victoria cypress

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Southern yellow cedar? <g> Maybe yellow cedar from Victoria, B.C.
G.S. Monroe

Post by G.S. Monroe »

Victoria Cypress?
It's also called Golden Cypress, and it's from "Down Under" in Australia and New Zealand.
http://www.goldencypress.com.au/
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

Hmm ... looks like I will have to follow this up with the seller. I saw one sample just in passing at the Frankfurt music fair but the guy on the stand was busy.
Nick Dingle

Post by Nick Dingle »

Consensus opinion down here is that it's good for back and sides on classicals, and that it. Not soundboard material at all. I have a set of it sold a top wood, and I'm gonna try it.....one day....

It is, in fact, Monterey Cypress.....so far as I know...
Wayne Brown

Post by Wayne Brown »

Monterey Cypress is being used for b&s on flamenco guitars. It is said that the tone is very close to the tone of spanish cypress and the cost is much less than sp cypress.
Miguel Bernardo

Post by Miguel Bernardo »

which dealer was it Simmon? it must be a regional name, i have no idea of a cypress (true or false) with that name.
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

Miguel Bernardo wrote:which dealer was it Simmon? it must be a regional name, i have no idea of a cypress (true or false) with that name.
It was actually Barbero from Valencia. I saw it on his stand at the Frankfurt music fair. I only noticed it after i was going away and they were already busy with someone else. I didn't get chance to go back to the stand and ask. I could always email but haven't. :)
Miguel Bernardo

sorry for such a late reply, in their catalogue Barber lists both euro/mediterranean cypress (C. sempervirens) and Alaskan Yellow Cedar / Nootka Cypress (C. nootkatensis), but maybe they had something special for the fair?

Anyway, their nootka is dirt cheap and very good value for money - i bought maybe 4 sets and the grain is very straight and uniform. Very different from euro cypress (it´s a distant cousin), much whiter and the smell less pungent, with hints of pepper, vinegar and parsley (to my nose, this stuff is obviously subjective).

all the best,
Miguel.
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

@Miguel
Have you used any of the sets yet?
Miguel Bernardo

no, but i´m about to. already jointed and joined the paltes (for a back), will start working on it in a couple of months, if all goes well. density is around 400 g/cm3.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”