Simple build for 9 year old

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
John Nephin

Simple build for 9 year old

Post by John Nephin »

My 9 year old daughter has to build an instrument for a school project. She only has 2 days to complete it.
I was thinking a canjo or mbira but would like to hear any other ideas people may have.
Michael Lewis

Re: Simple build for 9 year old

Post by Michael Lewis »

Canjo! Kazoo!
G.S. Monroe

Post by G.S. Monroe »

I recently did a building seminar for a grade school age church youth group.
I showed them how to build "Canjo"s with plastic "Red" dixie cups, and 45 lb fishing line.
I used 3/4" wood dowels for the necks, cut in half length wise about 18 inches long.
and brass linoleum tacks to hold it all together. A small eye bolt for a tuner, and staples for frets.
The kids had a blast, and there were minimal sharp edges for poking little fingers.
Primitive, but it teaches the basic principles of how an instrument is built and functions.
Jon Whitney

Post by Jon Whitney »

A rectangular banjo with a soda-bottle (PETE) plastic head and fishing line strings with friction tuners is a little more sophisticated but can easily be done in two days. The head is shrunk tight with heat from a blow dryer after tacking it on the body frame. Make it fretless but mark the fret positions with a Sharpie for simplicity.
Attachments
09222011279.jpg
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

A stick dulcimer might be a good choice. Half as many frets and it's hard to hit a bad note if they have to demonstrate them. The body could be a cigar box or cookie tin or whatever might be on hand. A quick search of you tube will show all sorts of possibilities.
Neal Carey

Post by Neal Carey »

Cigar box ukulele? Easy to make.
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon
Andrew Porter

Post by Andrew Porter »

Probably to late but a unican or canjoe:
http://canjoe.com/myblog/?p=14450
I made my school teacher wife several for her class. I use a soup can screw to a stick open end facing the butt. I drilled a small hole ~1/4 inch from rim of the bottom of the can to feed a guitar string through. The frets where finishing nails with the heads cut off. Short right angles where bent at each end to form a staple. The location was determined by holding a straight nail on the neck and fretting the string. I slid the nail up and down till I found the correct location using a tuner. I went with a dulcimer scale. I then drilled slighty undersized holes to tap them into.
World's Second Finest Maker of Expensive Sawdust

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”