slotting the nut

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Chris Tremble

slotting the nut

Post by Chris Tremble »

Hi,
Im working on my first build, and have radiused my fingerboard, cut the fret slots and marked out where my nut will be located. How do I determine the height of my nut? Im using a graph tec nut which is radiused on the bottom which brings me to my next question. How do I make a radiused slot for the nut to fit in?

Chris Tremble
Nick Middleton

Re: slotting the nut

Post by Nick Middleton »

It's a lot of work to make a matching nut-slot in that style. Since you are building a new neck then I would suggest to instead make a flat-slot on the neck and simply file the underside of the nut until it becomes flat and matches. Prep the nut first to make sure you know how deep to cut the slot on the neck.
Chris Tremble

Post by Chris Tremble »

That makes alot of sense.
Thanks very much. :D
Nick Middleton

Post by Nick Middleton »

You're welcome. I only bother with the rounded bottom nuts when replacing it on a guitar that came that way. I would not go out of my way to build a new on that way.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

You'll have to slot it as well, the slots in a pre-made nut are only meant to be the starting points. You'll need to make finished slots.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”