Odd Gstring sounds

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Kevin Bryden

Odd Gstring sounds

Post by Kevin Bryden »

Hi I have 2 two strat copies I built years ago. Both have Schaller 3D bridges.

Both exhibit odd noises on the G string with some amp settings, it's a kind of an overtone sound. Usually happens around the 10 to 15th frets. It can be influenced to some extent by the amps setting, especially once you ramp the gain up a little. One guitar has emg pick ups and the other has Gibson humbuckers. Neither are subject to magnetic string suck.

Thanks in advance for some help on this.

Kevin
Mark Swanson

Re: Odd Gstring sounds

Post by Mark Swanson »

Since it happens with two different guitars, I think it must be something in the amp, or possibly the effects you are using. Try a different rig. The same issue is highly unlikely to happen on two guitars.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Kevin Bryden

Post by Kevin Bryden »

Thanks Mark, it does happen on more than 1 rig.
David Schwab

Post by David Schwab »

How high are the saddles set on the bridge? I used to use those, and one problem is if the saddles are not high enough, the string buzzes on the roller, and sometimes pops out.

Schaller supplies spacers with the bridges, but I've never found a reason to use them. They often put the bridge too high, and that makes you lower the saddles all the way, and then the strings buzz. So if you are using he spacer, try removing it.

I also use to file deeper slots in the rollers.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”