clip in frog viol bow

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.
Steve Senseney

Re: clip in frog viol bow

Post by Steve Senseney »

Thanks for your picture and the recommendations.

Of course, you mentioned the "fluting or reeding".

When is this recommended, needed, or done? I have plenty of old band saw blade material to make extra blades.

To give a little further information, I will probably try to make a bow out of Osage, as I have some nice straight grained pieces which would work.

I realize that this could be the first Osage bow (for stringed instruments), so no one can really recommend dimensions.

I have bits and pieces of bone left over from making saddles and nuts for guitars (made out of pet store bleached bone).

I plan on a clip in baroque type of bow, and will use the pieces of bone at the tip to strength the tip where the wedge is placed.
Roderick Jenkins

Post by Roderick Jenkins »

Steve,

Some bows have reeding where the wrapping would be on a modern bow, presumably as a gripping aid. Other bows have fluted sticks. I assume that this lightens the bow without greatly affecting the stiffness. And, for the advanced worker, some bows seem to have a reed in between the flutes.

I've had a look at the links for French bowmaker's scraper planes and confess I am at a loss. They look like low angle planes to me, presumably with the blade bevel up.

Rod
Douglas Ingram

Post by Douglas Ingram »

Edward Fleming wrote:Maybe this is redundant but I have put together a drawing of how the hair is held in a clip-in frog. The shape of the plug and hair mortice in the stick is critical to keeping the hair in place without resorting to glue etc. Perhaps it will help? It does not show the hair channel running up the back of the frog and over the top, fyi.
clipinfrog.JPG
Thanks for this! This is very useful. Would you happen to have an image of the top view?

I am starting to get a better picture of how these bows are made. I still have to finish the viol, or at least be closer to being finished, before I start the bow. I'm carving the back of the soundboard next.
I may be crazy...but I'm not insane.
Douglas Ingram

Post by Douglas Ingram »

Steve Senseney wrote:Thanks for your picture and the recommendations.

Of course, you mentioned the "fluting or reeding".

When is this recommended, needed, or done? I have plenty of old band saw blade material to make extra blades.

To give a little further information, I will probably try to make a bow out of Osage, as I have some nice straight grained pieces which would work.

I realize that this could be the first Osage bow (for stringed instruments), so no one can really recommend dimensions.

I have bits and pieces of bone left over from making saddles and nuts for guitars (made out of pet store bleached bone).

I plan on a clip in baroque type of bow, and will use the pieces of bone at the tip to strength the tip where the wedge is placed.
Steve, what are you making the bow for?
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Mainly for the fun of it!

I did make a washtub upright bass in the past. I never got around to having a bow for this, so I would like to make this bow for essentially an upright bass.
Douglas Ingram

Post by Douglas Ingram »

Steve Senseney wrote:Mainly for the fun of it!

I did make a washtub upright bass in the past. I never got around to having a bow for this, so I would like to make this bow for essentially an upright bass.
Oh, you definitely need need a clip in frog Baroque bow for that! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

I got around to making a couple of bows and planes.

I started another thread here --

http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1898
Chet Bishop

Post by Chet Bishop »

Definitely not the first instrument bow of Osage Orange.
http://brunkalla.com/BOWS.html

I have seen others, as well, though I am told it does not match Pernambuco.
I hope you post photos when you have it done.
Chet Bishop
Violin-family instruments
Forest Grove, Oregon
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Chet--

Pretty pricey piece of Osage!

Here are the bows--

http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1898

Return to “Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows”