Paul Rhoney's Latest Builds

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Mark Swanson

Re: Paul Rhoney's Latest Builds

Post by Mark Swanson »

Very good Paul, good luck and I liked the video too.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Warren May

Post by Warren May »

Really nice quality video. Great looking guitars and you certainly have achieved the "modern classic" look that you were going for. The guitars look like they have the best of all commercial models.
Paul Rhoney

Post by Paul Rhoney »

Thanks so much guys! I must say, compliments are always nice, but approval from my peers is something I'm very proud of.
Goran Popovic wrote:Are the tailpieces handmade?
I designed them obviously, and I get them laser cut. They're 2mm thick stainless steel. There's no reason why someone couldn't make something just as eye-catching out of aluminum with hand tools, or get laser cut stainless steel that's not quite as thick. But I make a lot of stainless plates for sale as a side business, so occasionally making myself a tailpiece is no big deal.
Markku Nyytäjä

Post by Markku Nyytäjä »

That was a really nice video, Paul. And your guitars are a treat for a number of human senses. :D
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Just got around to watching the video: great little spot, and you got to play your own film score! You've got a great setup - both in the shop and behind the scenes - and you're producing some amazing instruments. Keep it up!
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Paul Rhoney

Post by Paul Rhoney »

You're right about the shop and my "behind the scenes" setup, but that wasn't me playing the music in the video! Check the credits. The playing credit goes to my friend Jon Turner, who is a luthier in his own right. Have a look at Blackbird Guitars.
John Meyers

Post by John Meyers »

Paul,

Your work is awesome and it is great to see how far you have come so fast. The video was killer as well. I hope you 2013 is even better than 2012.
I don't make mistakes, I make adjustments!
Rob Carty

Post by Rob Carty »

Enjoyed the video. Given the quality of your instruments, I pictured you as being a lot older!
Paul Rhoney

Post by Paul Rhoney »

Thanks guys! My wife says I look young for my age. Dunno how old you think I look, but I'm 31.
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Ummm 14 1/2?
Rob Carty

Post by Rob Carty »

Oh, I figured you had to be twice that. Apparently, you were born with it!
David Schwab

Post by David Schwab »

I love your guitars! I have to add you to the list of instruments I'm going to buy when I get rich. :)
Neal Carey

Post by Neal Carey »

Enjoyed your video! The 'Black Oceana Junior with TV Jones PowerTron Plus' is really striking!!!
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon
Paul Rhoney

Post by Paul Rhoney »

Thanks so much for the nice words guys!

I need to get on here more often with my latest stuff, and actually try to contribute in other areas of the forum. I can't put in to words how much this forum helped me in my formative years.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

And we would welcome your contributions, Paul! Your guitar bodies are shaped very cleanly and well done, I bet there are more than a few who would like to see how you do that so smoothly.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Paul Rhoney

Post by Paul Rhoney »

Good idea! I'll start thinking of an interesting way to put up a thread about designing in Illustrator.
Jim Bonnell

Post by Jim Bonnell »

That would be great. I've been interested in trying to design something different for myself. Any information from you Paul would be a big help.
Paul Rhoney

Post by Paul Rhoney »

Here's some of the new stuff in progress.

First, an Oceana Junior that my wife and I are making for our son. My wife Megan tries to get into the shop to learn how to install frets, how to radius fretboards, and things like that when she can. So she did a fair amount of work on this one, and it's as good as any.

Next is a workbench pic of an Iverness Green Balinese. My "Balinese" model is my version of the fabled Gibson Moderne. There's a lot of real estate on these guitars!

And last for now is the first ever 25.5" scale Oceana. Ash top over Alder with a Maple neck and Rosewood fretboard. There's some ridiculously cool stuff planned for this one, I can hardly wait!

Thomas Dooher

Post by Thomas Dooher »

I am astounded by your craftmanship and really envious of your talent. I hate you...I love you...you know how that goes... I liked the black Oceana, and the duo in the first post. Your sparkles just look so clean, and the way you describe the technique makes so much sense.

I am very impressed...
Louie Atienza

Post by Louie Atienza »

Nice stuff Paul! I like the sparkle ones, they have a 'surf' vibe to them, and I love playing surf music!

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”