Very small saw blades: make your own

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Al Dodson

Very small saw blades: make your own

Post by Al Dodson »

Here is a little trick I often use to create a very small saw or file. This saw will work on both metal and wood. It is extremely useful for cutting a very fine slot or filing into corners and other tight places. It will not easily cut very deep as it has no set but I have cut a 3/8’ deep slot in a 3/8” dowel rod with some effort.
You will need a razor blade, a hammer and, a file.

Simply stand the razor blade on the file as shown and strike with the hammer. It is best to do this with one sharp blow and to use a finer file than I have shown. I used the course file here so we could see the results better and I had to strike more than once to get the shot I wanted; even so, this “saw” was able to cut what I needed. Experiment, have fun, and be careful; you’ll shoot your eye out.
Attachments
IMG_0095.jpg
IMG_0095.jpg (36.28 KiB) Viewed 8495 times
IMG_0097.jpg
IMG_0097.jpg (32.5 KiB) Viewed 8495 times
Dave Stewart

Re: Very small saw blades: make your own

Post by Dave Stewart »

Great tip Al..........never seen this one! I must go try it!
Dave
Milton, ON
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Been there, done that.

Clamp the razor blade in between 2 pieces of hardwood, leaving just 1/16" or so of the blade exposed. This will support the blade, and allows for a harder blow to the razor blade, creating better defined teeth. Also prevents the blade from shattering, and if it does shatter(sooner or later, one will!), it also prevents the pieces from flying around.

WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!!!!
Murray MacLeod

Post by Murray MacLeod »

Ingenious for sure ...would you maybe get a more usable saw by carefully notching the blade a few times with a Dremel cut-off disc ? Just wondering ...

And eye protection was the first thing that occurred to me on reading the OP ....
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Notching with a Dremel will create teeth, but it will also take a lot more time, and you'll end up with zero set, while tapping it against a file like this creates a bit of set to the teeth. This is another of the really simple things that we shouldn't try to "improve" before even trying....
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

I tried to notch some feeler gauges with a Dremel and a fine cut off wheel but even the fine wheel was too big and coarse to make nice teeth. You would be doing well to get 15 teeth per inch with the cut off wheel. I think the sharp file and a couple blocks of wood and hammer the better answer.
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

I am impressed!
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

I've used diamond three square needle files to sharpen small saws over the years. Blacken the teeth by rolling a Sharpie along the saw, and cut every other one from one side before flipping it around. Those little saws can't really be set, and the burr performs the same function, so even though the teeth may be sharp, the saw will bind once the burr has worn off.

In a pinch you can sharpen the edge of a feeler gauge as a saw to make nut slots of whatever size. It's always hard to mark the teeth accurately, and I wonder if the file and hammer method will work? Only one way to find out, I guess...

Return to “Tools and Jigs”