Neck-thru / Binding question

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Jeff Mills

Neck-thru / Binding question

Post by Jeff Mills »

When binding a top or back on a neck-thru, is there any reason not to bind the butt end of the neck? On this one, I bound the wings then glued them to the neck. However it seems I could just cut the binding shelf in the wings, glue the wings to the neck, then cut the shelf in the butt of the neck and bind all the way around.

Picture speaks louder than words...

Thanks
Experience is a strange thing - You get it right after you needed it.
Eric Baack

Re: Neck-thru / Binding question

Post by Eric Baack »

It might be tricky to do the binding at the neck end. the butt end shouldn't be any issue.
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

Yeah, it seems like you could even do the binding shelf all at once, after gluing the pieces together, and shaping the butt end to the wings.
As Eric stated, the tricky part would be the neck end.
I've never done this so I'm simply theorizing. I think you would have to stop just short of the neck with the router, and maybe finsh the shelp by hand, tapering the binding into the neck sides.
Can someone with experience correct me if I'm wrong?
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Jeff Mills

Post by Jeff Mills »

Thanks for the replies Eric & Gordon, much appreciated...
Experience is a strange thing - You get it right after you needed it.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”