banjo mandolin??

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
F Murtz

banjo mandolin??

Post by F Murtz »

John Hamlett

Re: banjo mandolin??

Post by John Hamlett »

Looks like a good starting point. You could have it playable with a little glue, a new head, a bridge and a set of strings. A little more work and it could look much better.
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

I have one which was in excellent condition when I got it.

You have a lot of wood working to do.

The one aspect which is good, is that you seem to have all of the hardware in fairly good condition.

Depending on your interest and skills, I think it can be resurrected.

I am sure you will learn a great deal by doing this.
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

Nothing too difficult to fix there. If you have a source of compressed air (or just blow hard!), blow any loose stuff out of the places to be glued first. Make yourself a caul with the diameter of the pot, work some hot hide glue into the delaminating pot side, and use the caul to clamp it (with some wax paper, so the caul doesn't get glued to the pot). Hot hide glue is better than anything out of a bottle for this job because it will work its way into the tight places better. Gluing the back to the pot should be easy. The small missing chunks on the back could be replaced, but I'm not sure it wouldn't ruin the "character" of this old instrument. The old Library hasn't been moved over yet, but I had a tutorial there on replacing a head. You can still read it on the old forum for a while.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
F Murtz

Post by F Murtz »

I was thinking of attempting to rebuild with new materials using existing as a guide but do you think it would be better to try repairing what is there keeping its character?
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

I can't really tell how bad the wood materials are.

You will have to make that decision.

I would recommend that you sit on it a while. Some times waiting a while, you will make a better choice.
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

A roll of duct tape, a simple bridge, and fresh strings will have it playable in an hour... The Red Green banjolin!

Or find a pie plate or bowl or something that will fit upside down in it, make a simple biscuit bridge, and voila! Dobrolin.....

The possibilities are endless....
Darrel Friesen

Post by Darrel Friesen »

I have one that's pretty much identical. The rim goes oval over a number of years due to string pull. A neck reset is in the plans at some point as a result. Another of my "ready for restoration" collection.
Ron Belanger

Post by Ron Belanger »

What Mario said :lol: :lol:
Patrick Hanna

Post by Patrick Hanna »

Go for it! I think it's a cool little instrument.
Lincoln Goertzen

Post by Lincoln Goertzen »

Steve Senseney wrote:I can't really tell how bad the wood materials are.

I would recommend that you sit on it a while. Some times waiting a while, you will make a better choice.
Steve, I have to ask. Just what would you hope to achieve by sitting on it? And how long would you recommend sitting on it? :?
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Lincoln Goertzen wrote:
Steve Senseney wrote:I can't really tell how bad the wood materials are.

Steve, I have to ask. Just what would you hope to achieve by sitting on it? And how long would you recommend sitting on it? :?
The usual recommendation is one year per inch of thickness, so for me it should take twice as long, since I'm doubly thick... <g>
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Greg's reply is better than I can give.

I have looked at something, grabbed a sharp tool, started disassembly, lost interest, and stared at the project for years.

Later, when I look at it again, with a better idea of what I need or want to do, I lost pieces and did irreparable damage.

Just my experience.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”