Celtic Knots and Interlaced Patterns

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Alan Peterson

Celtic Knots and Interlaced Patterns

Post by Alan Peterson »

There is a neat little freebie program out there called "Knotter" for the Open Source / Linux community. It generates Celtic knots and Islamic interlacing for folks looking to quickly and accurately create such a decoration. It does a pretty good job of laying out carved and incised soundhole rose patterns as well.

http://www.knotdraw.org/

It is still in first public release, so it is bound to have a couple of clinkers in it. Also, having been written for the Linux operating system, it doesn't install as easily as a Windows or Mac program would. But it's one more cool tool for the design bench and may yet be useful.

FWIW, the Linux community also has a pile of other cool tools going for it, including LinuxCNC; free machine control software for the day you want to cut out those necks and solid bodies by robotic means >>> http://www.linuxcnc.org/
Alan Peterson
Name in Anagram Form: "Resonant Peal"
Chuck Tweedy

Re: Celtic Knots and Interlaced Patterns

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Thanks for the link Alan. I did some simple (crude really) knot inlays not long ago, and I wish I'd had that to lay them out.
Yea Linux!
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Patrick Kirkham

Post by Patrick Kirkham »

That's really cool. I had just learned how to do it by hand with a grid.
Alan Peterson

Post by Alan Peterson »

Its been a few months since this has been mentioned, but I'm seeing where the author of KNOTTER has freshened things up a little bit.

Version 0.9 is now out -- again for the Linux operating system (sorry Mac/Win users) -- and has a few new features worked in.

See details and a neat little demo video at http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entr ... notter-0.9

BTW, having a Linux box knocking around might be useful down the road. Look back on my first post regarding the free CNC suite for Linux available on the web.
Alan Peterson
Name in Anagram Form: "Resonant Peal"
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

Looks pretty cool, and I have been looking for a knot designer. You could also just run Linux on a virtual machine under either Windows or Mac. And the development source code is also available and written for the Qt cross-platform development system, so recompiling for either Windows or Mac should not be a difficult task for anyone who knows how to do it.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”