cello broken neck

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Steven Wilson

Re: cello broken neck

Post by Steven Wilson »

Thanks Michael
The button on the back separated easily. That's where I would normally apply pressure while steaming the joint. I'm wondering how to get a hold on it to pull the heal.
Thanks
Steven
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Again, I suggest you get the Shipman-Weisshaar book.

A typical method for the violin family neck removal is to carefully saw a narrow kerf next to the heel and force the heel to the side to break it out of the mortise. A shim is used to fill the extra space when the neck is re fitted so the joint is snug. For this method I would use a block that fits the length of the heel, and a hammer. I would start with a sharp blow on each side to help break the glue joint. More hammer only as needed.

Without knowing the type of glue used on this instrument I hesitate telling you to use steam.

Soft wood is a real problem because it isn't strong enough in the first place, it can be difficult to repair, and the repair is still questionable.
Steven Wilson

Post by Steven Wilson »

Thank you Michael
I can't see $325+ for the book but understand your suggestion. I have the heal lose and will post my progress
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

The original suggestion was to ask your local library to get the book for you on inter-library loan. Most public libraries will do that for little or no money.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Not much gets by you does it Jim? <G>

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”