Baby Taylor?

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Michael Jennings

Baby Taylor?

Post by Michael Jennings »

I have a Baby Taylor in the shop today. Owner's complaint was intonation and she is correct it is sharp all the way. Problem is an extremely high action because of a bad neck angle. Looks to be pretty simple to me with the "fender" style screw on neck. Tapered shim should work. Question is...
Any surprises in store for me? I have never had one of these in the shop before. Are the two "screws" at the 16th fret the whole shebang? Or is there some other surprise?

Mike
Michael Jennings

Re: Baby Taylor?

Done and done. Simple shim, no surprises. Also needed some saddle work, the slot was cut in the perfect place but the molded synthetic saddle was all wrong. Not much impressed with the guitar itself, but it is a small "travel" instrument. That being said I haven't been much impressed by any Taylor.. usually very playable but some what lacking when it comes to tone and body.
Mike
Darrel Friesen

Post by Darrel Friesen »

I have one of those Michael. Not a bad little guitar for what it is. My daughter learned to play on it and still uses it. It has a Fishman under saddle in it and is fun to play with plugged in. Mine also has the original molded case. I believe they only come with a gig bag now.
Michael Jennings

Darrel, with it adjusted for a decent action I think it could be the perfect guitar for a young / small pre-teen to learn on. This customer uses it for travel and camp fires and it fills the bill just right for her. Her other guitar, that I had the pleasure to work on, is a Gurian from the early 80's. That one was Koa so she bought the Baby-T in Koa as well.
Michael Jennings

Returned to customer today.... Happy Camper.... cash on the barrelhead.... it's all good.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”