Neck-through / tilt question

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Jeff Mills

Neck-through / tilt question

Post by Jeff Mills »

I hate to have to ask but I could not find this discussed anywhere in the forum, could have been but my searching came up dry. So please forgive me if it's been discussed before.

I'm working on my first neck-trough or (neck-thru) bass. Is achieving desired neck tilt just a matter of attaching the body wings lower on the butt than at the neck, then shaving the neck front and back down to be flush with the body?

Thanks
Experience is a strange thing - You get it right after you needed it.
Bill Bell

Re: Neck-through / tilt question

Post by Bill Bell »

The thru-neck bass I built does not have a neck angle, I built it more like a Fender neck and just had the neck surface high enough above the body. Just make a drawing with the bridge etc. as everyone suggests to work out the dimensions.
Attachments
IMG_1163.jpg
Rob Carty

Post by Rob Carty »

I've done a few neck-thru guitars and I see no reason why your method wouldn't work. In my case, I drew everything out in full scale (as Bill suggests above) and then cut the angle into the body portion of the thru-neck. Then I added the body wings, gluing them flush to that newly-angled center section. Same result, different sequence. But I saw an advantage to doing it this way; i.e., I could be absolutely sure that I'd gotten the precise angle I needed, BEFORE gluing the wings on. Good luck!
Jairo Eduardo Suarez Gallardo

Post by Jairo Eduardo Suarez Gallardo »

Rob Carty wrote:I've done a few neck-thru guitars and I see no reason why your method wouldn't work. In my case, I drew everything out in full scale (as Bill suggests above) and then cut the angle into the body portion of the thru-neck. Then I added the body wings, gluing them flush to that newly-angled center section. Same result, different sequence. But I saw an advantage to doing it this way; i.e., I could be absolutely sure that I'd gotten the precise angle I needed, BEFORE gluing the wings on. Good luck!
i did similar technique for a 7 string guitar "flying V" model... I glued the wings to the guitar and then I routed the excess of wood from the neck... I had to be very carefull with the jig... But at the end it looks really good.
Jairo Eduardo Suárez Gallardo.
mickmutante
Industrial Designer / Luthier

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”