Floyd Rose

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Bruce Tillson

Floyd Rose

Post by Bruce Tillson »

I am in the process of building a thin body (1 1/2") electric and want to utilize a Floyd Rose trem bridge. The block measures in a just under 1 1/2" and was wondering if I can cut 1/4" off the block without effecting the action of the bridge. I know that I would have to drill out (deepen) the spring holes but don't see why it wouldn't work otherwise. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks :lol:
Henrique Schneiter

Re: Floyd Rose

Post by Henrique Schneiter »

Bruce, you can mill off some of the block. But I don't think you'll need it, depending on your neck angle (if any) or neck pocket depth. My latest guitar have that thickness and a "top-mounted" floyd rose, and I still have some clearance on the bottom (never measured, but about 5mm). I have a small neck angle, about 3º, and the bottom of fretboard flush with the top. My next guitar (already on building) will have the same thickness and a small recess for the bridge, and according to my calculations, it still will be fine.

You didn't mention if it will be a bolt-on neck or set/thru. I think the best approach would be add a neck angle or neck height. Better than mess with the block.

If you deepen the springs cavity too much, you'll end up inside the bridge pickup cavity.
Bruce Tillson

Post by Bruce Tillson »

I would have to mount the bridge about 3/8" above the face of the body to get the correct clearances in the spring cavity. I was talking about the holes in the block where the springs attach not the spring cavity.
It is a bolt on neck. As I say, this is a thin body,,1 1/2" finished If I were to mount the trem as it is with this thickness body, the springs would be almost 1/4" above the surface of the back of the guitar. I need to be able to rout a spring cavity and the would only need to be about 5/16" in depth.
It is a bolt on neck. I will have plenty of room for the pickup cavities,,they only need to be 1/2" and the spring cavity as I said 5/16". so 1 1/2" thickness is fine. I just want to know it it will affect the way the tremolo works. I don't see how it would make a difference. I guess I could get one of those real cheapo "floyd rose" off of eBay and just try it. I would only lose about $30 but may be worth it. If this guitar works out I want to make more of them. I have all of the rest of the configuration down, it's just this one point I need to explore.
Thanks for your input.
Henrique Schneiter

Got it. I've just realized that your bridge block is deeper than what I used. I confess those imperial numbers make me confused.

About affecting the tremolo, if you shorten the block, the arm of momentum of the springs will be shortened, meaning that you'll need either more springs or more tension on the springs, and it affects the "feel" of the bridge. But it will work, as different brands have different block depths anyway.

You can also buy just a spare bridge block and experiment.
Tom Collins

Post by Tom Collins »

Hi, you could try playing a fee ibanez guitars with edge , edge pro , etc trems, they all use short blocks, see if you like the slinky feel it provides , also don't recess your trem cavity cover that will buy you soothe few mm of depth.hope this helps Tom.
Bruce Tillson

Post by Bruce Tillson »

I am going to trim the block....I don't need a lot of movement with the tremolo,,,I just want it for it's intended effect...no DIVE BOMBS!!!!

THanks
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

This has been argued here many times, but it's been proven (to my satisfaction anyway) that the amount of string behind the bridge does not affect the feel or slinkyness of the playable part of the string.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Bruce Tillson

Post by Bruce Tillson »

I would agree with that. Look at the differences in guitars and that amount of string behind the bridge. It may matter in an acoustic guitar but I don't believe it would make a huge difference in an electric. Thanks for your input.
Henrique Schneiter

I disagree. The wraparound bridge guitars that I've played and built feel "harder" than other guitars with a tailpiece (particularly one distant from the bridge), using the same strings and same scale length. It does not affect string tension, of course.

But anyway, it's about the springs i was talking, not strings. On a full-floating tremolo, more springs with less tension gives a "harder" feel (on the bridge movement, and consequently on strings) than less springs with more tension, given the same string caliber. I've tested it several times, and there's no mistake for me.

Bruce, I believe you can trim the block confidently. Even for dive bombs or whatever.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”