Rosette Tension when Gluing?

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Phillip Lee

Rosette Tension when Gluing?

Post by Phillip Lee »

Not to fault the Supplier of the Rosette I purchased but the dimensions didn't add up to the outside diameter (this is a restoration I didn't want to attempt to cut larger) like I thought after adding width and soundhole diameter. It should have been 128 mm total but was closer to 134mm outside. I thought of returning it but a Tech looked through several and 130+ was the best they could do, so instead of a week shipping lag I set about sanding the outside ring to fit.
After 3 hours and 3 grits the rosette is close but still pops up when pressed down into the old groove.
All that to ask, would you clamp and glue with some minimal tension in the rosette or continue to sand?
Phillip Lee

Re: Rosette Tension when Gluing?

Post by Phillip Lee »

One additional caveat, I've decided to install a bridge DR. to reduce the belly factor before gluing the rosette to lessen the chance of stress cracks. Would you do any different?
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Water based glue will make the rosette swell so it should slip in easily before you glue it.
MIMF Staff
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

If it can be fitted and clamped flush I would use it, but I would use epoxy rather than a water based glue to avoid the problem Barry mentioned.
Phillip Lee

Post by Phillip Lee »

Thanks Clay, I was thinking the same thing about swelling. I sure wish I had some West System left from a boat repair, I hate to use Lowes or other big-box Retailers epoxy products.
I meticulously sanded through 3 outer rings of the rosette with no problem and the fit is much better but still tight.I am still wondering if I should install the Bridge Doctor before gluing the rosette to reduce the chance of deformations later. It probably won't make any difference, I've found you can stress over details too much where it hinders decisions.
Nick Dingle

Post by Nick Dingle »

"I've found you can stress over details too much where it hinders decisions."

I call that dithering. While building guitars, it seems to be the one thing I am very good at...... ;-)
Neal Carey

Post by Neal Carey »

So, Nick, now I have a name for my ailment! Thanks. :-)
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon
Phillip Lee

Post by Phillip Lee »

I glued the rosette in today after gluing in and shaving down some inner perfling flush. Yeah, she swelled. What should have been a 1 hour job turned into an hour and a half of stress. Air bubbles became entrapped in different locations around the circumference and I resorted to removing the small clamps and squeezing them out with thumb/hand pressure, then reclamping. I did this three times and finally the Titebond "Took Up"
She looks good.
Restorations can be worse than new builds in so many ways. Age bends and distorts things where a lot of last minute decisions must be made while glue sets so everything comes out close to right.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”