Internal Acoustic Jack Plate?

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Phillip Lee

Internal Acoustic Jack Plate?

Post by Phillip Lee »

I seem to remember reading about some apparatus that is placed inside an acoustic guitar to support a sagging belly.This miracle device was also supposed to not affect the sound much. Perhaps it was used on Trigger? (Willie Nelsons Martin).
Anyway, all my internal braces look good, no glue breaks or anything, just wanted to pursue all things while restoring an old Hoyer with slight bellying.
Sound Post? Anyone know?
Clay Schaeffer

Re: Internal Acoustic Jack Plate?

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I believe it is called a "bridge doctor" and some Breedlove guitars had them installed as original equipment. Stew MAc sells them.
Phillip Lee

Post by Phillip Lee »

Thanks Clay, that is the name that escaped me. If Breedlove used them they can't be all bad.
Phillip Lee

Post by Phillip Lee »

What about K&K piezo installation with a Bridge DR.? I didn't see anyone comment on this at Stewmac. Is it possible? Does it interfere and make installation problematic? In what order would you install on an acoustic undergoing restoration(neck off)?
Jeffrey L. Suits

Post by Jeffrey L. Suits »

Phillip Lee wrote:What about K&K piezo installation with a Bridge DR.? I didn't see anyone comment on this at Stewmac. Is it possible? Does it interfere and make installation problematic? In what order would you install on an acoustic undergoing restoration(neck off)?
I've done quite a few K&K installs on JLD-equipped guitars; center transducer installs in front of the bridgeplate.
Phillip Lee

Post by Phillip Lee »

Thanks Jeffrie, by "in front" I assume you mean there is room left after installation of the bridge Dr. Thats all I need, to know someone else has succesfully did it gives me the gumption to try.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”