Rehairing process

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.
Craig Tucker

Rehairing process

Post by Craig Tucker »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CLnvVKn_VQ

I will start with this by posting a you tube short video, which I made about a year ago, showing one of the difficult things to describe in just words - which is done at the end of a rehair - but it is something I have already recorded on you tube - so hear it is.

Some rehairers do not do this, I have heard, but it is commonly done on most bows by rehairers that I have talked to.

Just to mention... it is possible to rehair without this steap, but I don't find that it winds up necessarily a better end result, than when using this technique. I have also found that a proper rehair job - with the flaming - will result in an even hairing that doesn't change over time...

I do it, and have included it as a part of my normal process for nearly fifteen years, and the person who tauget me did it also and rehaired for a large violin repair shop.

First post - you decide.

Then I'll post the complete rehair process asI do it, from the start.
Thanks
ct
Jim McConkey

Re: Rehairing process

Post by Jim McConkey »

Hey, didn't you read the Forum rules? No flaming allowed! :lol:

It's been a while, so I didn't remember the wetting part, but the flaming is the same as I remember. You might even move a little more quickly through the flame, which is probably a good thing.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Beautiful! Well done, concise and to the point. And you're right, that was something I didn't grasp at all until now, seeing it done.

The camera person deserves credit, too, for flawlessly following you(you move quickly, with very fast hands, very much as I do/am) and never appearing "jerky". Quite a feat, that!

But that chair.... A wee bit of very dilute hide glue would swell those loose, squeaky-creaky joints and lock them tightly, quieting things down a lot!
Craig Tucker

Post by Craig Tucker »

Ahh, the camera person - my wife Mary. The only person who can stand being around me for more than a minuite or two!

The chair?
Normally, I don't work on everyday objects...
Unless it's got ff holes, I just ignore all that crap.
Craig Tucker

Post by Craig Tucker »

Jim McConkey wrote:Hey, didn't you read the Forum rules? No flaming allowed! :lol:

It's been a while, so I didn't remember the wetting part, but the flaming is the same as I remember. You might even move a little more quickly through the flame, which is probably a good thing.

Read the rules?

What?

(guffaw!)
Craig Tucker

Post by Craig Tucker »

Sorry about the time lag, but I will get to this soon.

I'm finding a great deal of difficulty recovering from this stroke - it's been four mounths and I am barely catching up with the present - but I will get there, with my new computer, and my m16 mp camera, and re learning MIMF's photo posting regior.

Thanks for waiting, rehairers of the future.

Return to “Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows”