chip-out next to lower bout veneer graft

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Ron Daves

chip-out next to lower bout veneer graft

Post by Ron Daves »

I chiseled out the recess for the lower bout seam veneer graft and have a couple chips next to the veneer. Mixing TiteBond with sawdust results in a noticeable dark spot. Anything else I can do? The sides are Myrtle. I tried superglue, but that didn't seem to work.
Frustrated luthier wanna-be
Michael Lewis

Re: chip-out next to lower bout veneer graft

Post by Michael Lewis »

Glue in a matching piece of wood and re-cut to reestablish your desired surface. It is rather difficult to avoid visible glue joints in light colored wood.
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Hide glue will be less noticeable than titebond.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I use the finish material for a binder for the sawdust. This seems to change the color the least, compared to glues such as titebond and superglue. This is also assuming the wood is not being stained. I would use hide glue if I were staining the wood.
Sawdust fillers don't have the same "grain" as the wood which makes them more noticeable if done in large areas. Filler in plain myrtle might not look too bad, but will be obvious in some of the fancy stuff. Have you considered using a larger end graft or banding the existing one?
Ron Daves

Post by Ron Daves »

I'm considering widening the end graft. I really did a crappy job of putting this end graft in and am being haunted by it. The problem I have with putting a narrow pieced on both sides of the graft is that I don't have any chisels small enough to do the carving. I could use an exacto knife to define the edge but would have to fashion some kind of teeney-tiney chisel. I'm looking at a jewelers screwdriver that I could sharpen. I think I'll give that a try. I could also just carve that friggin' graft out and start over. AAARGH!
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Sounds like a plan to me.
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Ron Daves

Post by Ron Daves »

I decided to try mixing wood dust with epoxy and fill the chips. Did that but wasn't careful enough and got the filler spread out a bit on either side of the chip. Tried sanding and that didn't work well. Tried a scraper, but no joy. Ended up scraping with a razor blade and cleaning it up with Acetone. I've made a lot of mistakes on this instrument, worst of which was not making the sides symmetrical- first attempt at hot pipe bending). It's a learning process. I'm making this Uke for my wife and she'll love it. I'm just going to get it finished and move on.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Sometimes that is for the best. It will probably turn out to be a nice playing and sweet sounding instrument. I think that the bug has bitten and you are already planning your next instrument. Am I right? <g>
Ron Daves

Post by Ron Daves »

Yeah, the bug has bitten and I've sworn never to be bitten again...3 times, now. :D

Clay Schaeffer wrote:Sometimes that is for the best. It will probably turn out to be a nice playing and sweet sounding instrument. I think that the bug has bitten and you are already planning your next instrument. Am I right? <g>

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”