applying veneer to an existing guitar

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Romeo Suave

applying veneer to an existing guitar

Post by Romeo Suave »

I am planning to buy a Les Paul like guitar and apply a flame maple veneer (very thin) to its top, I just wonder I think the thk will be 1/16" or less, but hope that the hardware has enough adjustment to compensate. if this were a fender style bolt on neck, I would simply glue the veneer to the neck cavity, but in the case of a glued in neck this is not an option. looking for advice, comments, opinion.
Greg Robinson

Re: applying veneer to an existing guitar

Post by Greg Robinson »

If you're planning on doing this to a carved top instrument, I think you will find that it is impossible without some sort of industrial press, even at 1/16".
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

Have a look at Joewoodworker.com A vaccum setup might work for you.

Also, 1/16" (0.0625) is pretty thick for veneer nowadays. I think most is 0.020" to 0.040"
Dave Gentner

Post by Dave Gentner »

I applied flame maple veneer to Les Paul a couple of years ago. I used a vacuum bag to clamp it. Turned out great. Veneer was about .025" thick. Joewoodworker has a lot of good information.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”