Anyone used red gum (liquidambar styraciflua)

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Simon Magennis

Anyone used red gum (liquidambar styraciflua)

Post by Simon Magennis »

I've seen some very nice looking sets of Red Gum on eBay at sellers own website. The seller claims it sounds like zircote, whatever that sounds like.

Anyone got some experience using it? Especially in a classical. How does it rate on the allergy scale? Anything nasty in it?
Chuck Tweedy

Re: Anyone used red gum (liquidambar styraciflua)

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Liquidambar like ziricote!?!

Now... I've never seen a guitar set of liquidambar, but I have seen it in lumber form, and I've taken a couple out of our yard.
I'd expect it to be more like a cross between tulip poplar and soft maple.
Ziricote is like glass.

You know what it is right? It is a very common yard tree with leaves that are very similar in shape to maple, and its seedpods are little spiky balls about an inch in diameter.
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Also known as sweetgum I think? Here's a nice article about the lumber: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... PAgb8uvhSA
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

Thanks. I did a search on the net but didn't come across that particular article. I like the pictures showing what the different cuts look like. Very useful.
David King

Post by David King »

I have a large plank of curly redgum that I picked up a decade ago and have never touched. It feels pretty dense but nothing like ziricote. Are there other species that share the redgum name perhaps?
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

There are a number of Eucalyptus varieties whose common name is red gum, mostly exhibiting very similar properties, all extremely dense and tough on tools, mostly used for firewood and railway sleepers, but also high-end furniture, it can exhibit beautiful figure.
Funnily enough, liquidambar styraciflua is commonly planted as an ornamental street tree here in Melbourne.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Nicholas Blanton

Post by Nicholas Blanton »

Liquidambar is not a eucalypt, alas. It might be more interesting if it was, I have used some eucalypts with very lively figure and color.

When freshly cut sweet gum has some nice colors, like box elder, but the heartwood quickly turns into a kind of gray. As far as density and strength, it seems similar to poplar; though I think somewhat weaker than tulip poplar, lirodendron, and it's kinda rubbery, like willow. I'd make a fretted dulcimer out of tulip poplar ( and many have) but I wouldn't use sweetgum. It moves a lot with changes in humidity, too. It does glue and stain well, so maybe it could be good for cleats and patches, like willow.
Alan Peterson

Post by Alan Peterson »

Before anyone dismisses the idea of crafting an all-eucalyptus guitar, you must visit this site:

http://cheezburger.com/6608788224

C 8-) 8-) L!
Alan Peterson
Name in Anagram Form: "Resonant Peal"

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”