Gibson ES-335 Artisan

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Angelo Pacifici

Gibson ES-335 Artisan

Post by Angelo Pacifici »

Hi, new here. I have a Gibson ES-335 Artisan. Its a guitar that was loaded with an eq circuit ( Moog ) and other electronic variations to the tone that were all toggled with three mini-switches. It was a horrible circuit and I had it removed and migrated the instrument to more of a classical 335. It also had micro tuners at the stop bar which have also been removed in favor of a standard stop bar. It has a brass nut. All in all the changes have faired well for this mid-seventies guitar. It plays well. Oh, it is somewhat like the BB King in that is does not have f-holes.

Here is my question: Would it be possible to put in the f holes and bring this guitar closer to a traditional 335. I realize that this would entail a very careful bit or luthier/surgical skill. Is the blocking inside a BB 335 similar to the standard 335 and would the f holes work out.

Any input would be appreciated.
Jim McConkey

Re: Gibson ES-335 Artisan

Post by Jim McConkey »

Welcome to the MIMF, Angelodp, but please note that require full names here. Please leave us your name or PM any of the moderators and we will change your login. Have a look around. Be sure to have a look in the Archtop section - there is a discussion there right now about cutting F holes in an existing top.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Angelo Pacifici

Post by Angelo Pacifici »

Thanks JIm, I did study that series of post and got some insights. I am still wondering if anyone has specifically done this on a Gibson like mine.

Cheers A
Chuck Raudonis

Post by Chuck Raudonis »

Sounds like an interesting instrument. Can you post some pictures?
http://TheWaywardLuthier.wordpress.com - Adventures of a novice bass maker

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”