Outdoor drum played by rain

Romeo Suave

Outdoor drum played by rain

Post by Romeo Suave »

I want to build some outdoor drums played by rain. I just think it cool to sit on the porch and hear rain drums from my garden. I figure I could use plastic pipe or old propane tanks, but finding drum heads and hardware to stand the weather is the problem any ideas?
Stephen Bacon

Re: Outdoor drum played by rain

Post by Stephen Bacon »

Synthetic heads are plentiful, google is your friend. Remo makes some nice 'natural ' looking ones that are easy to work with. Cool idea, I love the sound of rain on a roof.
Romeo Suave

Post by Romeo Suave »

Stephen Bacon wrote:Synthetic heads are plentiful, google is your friend. Remo makes some nice 'natural ' looking ones that are easy to work with. Cool idea, I love the sound of rain on a roof.
I wonder if there is non rusting hardware for synth heads?
Romeo Suave

Post by Romeo Suave »

I forgot about this company, but www.paia.com has the midi brain kit (has to be soldered and assembles) and and an amp kit to boast signal strength, so that would take care of the brain, then I can order piezo sensors from ebay. Am currently thinking that maybe even salad containers or tupperware type containers might function for the drum. What is interesting too is to combine a piezo audio signal with a midi trigger of another sample or event. So still looking for ideas?
Stephen Bacon

Post by Stephen Bacon »

Google reheading djembes with synthetic heads. Just glue no hardware. But you have got to learn how to stretch and rehead.

Return to “Wind, Percussion, and Miscellaneous and Experimental Instruments”