Martin neck and no body

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Brad Robertson

Martin neck and no body

Post by Brad Robertson »

I have a 1965 Martin 000-18 neck with attached head block (with serial number) and most of the original bracing. It looks like the fret board is either perfect or freshly sanded. Frets are there but not trimmed or leveled.

Does this neck with Martin logo on it, have enough cachet to warrant building a knew body? If so, will using genuine Martin parts make it a Martin again?

Thanks,

Brad
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Re: Martin neck and no body

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

It's only a Martin if Martin makes the guitar. If you mate it to a Martin kit, it's a Martin kit guitar, commensurate with your skill level. I'm sure someone will mention that if you do build a kit guitar around this neck (with decal and serial #) you should put a note in the guitar explaining what it is.

Joshua
JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

You might want to consider Ebaying it, and using the profits to purchase stock to build a Brad Robertson acoustic from scratch.
Brad Robertson

Post by Brad Robertson »

JC Whitney wrote:You might want to consider Ebaying it, and using the profits to purchase stock to build a Brad Robertson acoustic from scratch.
If it is in good condition what would it bring on the open market? Are the original braces worth anything?

Brad
John Hamlett

Post by John Hamlett »

If we replace the frets on a Martin it's still a Martin. Replace the bridge, a broken brace or two, a side, just about any part, and it is still a Martin... a repaired Martin, but a Martin none the less. I don't know where the line is drawn, but as long as you have the head stock decal, the head block with serial number, and the back graft with the Martin stamp, you can replace any other part and it's still a Martin. Can you replace *all* of the other parts and still call it a Martin? I'd say "yes" from a purely factual standpoint. Whether it would legally and ethically be a Martin is a judgement call, with CF Martin's legal team having the final say on whether it is indeed a Martin.
It hadn't occurred to me, but I have an very old Martin head block lying around the shop, from the days before decals. I suppose I could build a Martin guitar using it if I so desired. I have several Martin necks with decals; always figured they might come in handy someday when a Martin comes in with a ruined neck. Would the resulting guitar be a Martin?
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

You might look for a 0, 00, or 000 with a broken neck. They happen. I assume you have a regular 14 fret version. I think that would be the best possible use for the neck you have.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

So if I have a decal, a serial numbered headblock, and a piece of end graft with the Martin stamp, I have a Martin guitar? <g> And if I remove the decal, sand off the serial number and end graft stamp I no longer have a Martin guitar? Without wanting to be accused of being an "originality freak", I think it takes more to make or break what is or isn't a Martin guitar. As John mentioned, with repaired instruments it becomes a judgement call, and a lot depends on the quality of the repair work. But still an honest seller would sell it as a "repaired Martin" rather than as an "used Martin" guitar.
As to building a body using "genuine Martin parts", if Martin starts selling decals, serial numbered headblocks, and stamped back grafts in their kits, then perhaps you could build a "genuine Martin guitar" from them. <g> Wood is wood, and until Martin builds a guitar from it , it isn't a Martin guitar.
I think Michael Lewis has given you the best advice. Find a broken necked Martin guitar of an appropriate design and use the neck as a replacement. Then you will have a well repaired Martin guitar.
Steven Wilson

Post by Steven Wilson »

I would agree with Michael, try to mate it with a real Martin body. If I did build something around it, I would not try a pass it as a Martin.
On a side note- This does make me think of the laws regarding motercycles in my state. As long as you have the steering tube with the vin plate, you register it as what's on the plate. The "Harley"s I've seen make me laugh.
Steven
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

What makes a "Brand X" thing varies for different purposes. I believe that you can "restore" an aircraft just from its data plate, for registration purposes (though most aviation authorities make you use parts from the original manufacture, so that's a bit different from the OP's proposition).

However, anyone selling a guitar as a "Martin" whose only Martin parts were the neck and neck block would receive little sympathy from the courts of most countries if a buyer sued for the return of his or her money. In common law countries like the UK and the US the test is what a reasonable purchaser would think "Martin" means. I don't think purchasers would be impressed. Courts in Civil Law countries are even less likely to be on the seller's side.

By all means make a replica Martin body if you want to keep it. If you tell your friends it's a Martin, the only consequences if they find out are social. But I wouldn't risk selling it as a "Martin", not even a "repaired Martin". You might get away with "reconstructed Martin", leaving it to the buyer to ask how extensive the reconstruction was.
Brad Robertson

Post by Brad Robertson »

Clay Schaeffer wrote:So
"As to building a body using "genuine Martin parts", if Martin starts selling decals, serial numbered headblocks, and stamped back grafts in their kits, then perhaps you could build a "genuine Martin guitar" from them. <g> Wood is wood, and until Martin builds a guitar from it , it isn't a Martin guitar."
This is getting toward the esoteric, but what if I had a Martin Factory certified repair facility do the rebuild?

If a new 000-18 costs $2000, and 1965~ish sell for say, $1600 to $2600 and up how much would YOU spend on a rebuild?
Last edited by Greg Robinson on Sat May 19, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing quote tags.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

If you hire someone to make this for you it will cost more than buying a new guitar because it is impossible for a luthier to compete with a factory on a cost basis. If you make it it will cost for the materials, necessary tools, and your time.

If you find a 14 fret 24.9" scale Martin (0, 00, 000) with a broken neck you are almost home, AND you will have a real Martin! (your best and least expensive solution)

If you make it or hire someone to do the job the result will most likely not equal the factory result in appearance or sound. This is because of the specific processes, knowledge, and methods of work the factory uses.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

If the "Martin Factory Certified Repair Facility" could get Martin to send them a complete body, then perhaps you could call it a "Martin". <g> Maybe you should just wait until you find some more original parts and build a "Johnny Cash, One Piece at a Time" Martin guitar!
Again, the real value of this neck is as a replacement for a broken neck on an otherwise decent Martin guitar.
Brad Robertson

Post by Brad Robertson »

Thanks all for your responses and suggestions. You have helped me decide how to proceed.

I would like to have a vintage Martin that plays well. (not that I need another guitar)
So I will be on the hunt for a body or broken neck project.
Or, if someone needs a neck, that will be an option.
If I want to tackle a acoustic guitar build, I will by the Martin Kit.

Brad
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

This reminds me of my graddad's rake. He was a farmer, so he used it a lot, but he had the same one his whole life. Of course, it had probably gotten a new head 5 times, and a new handle 10 times, but it was still the same rake, or so he claimed (and laughed!).

Back to guitars!
Thomas Wentzel

Post by Thomas Wentzel »

I think you might call the joining of a guitar body and a guitar neck from two different vintage Martins a 'marriage'. Of course, in the rake story, it would be a series of marriages and divorces.. ;-)Tom
Mark Lurvey

Post by Mark Lurvey »

If it was a D28 neck, I would make an offer. My 1970 D28 needs a new neck.
Does the 000-18 neck have a diamond valute?
Mark ô¿ô
Brad Robertson

Post by Brad Robertson »

Does the 000-18 neck have a diamond valute?

Not mine, sorry.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”