Upgraded Tuning Machines

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Upgraded Tuning Machines

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

A customer wants to replace what looks like Gotoh Schaller lookalikes. These are on a Kawai moon guitar (3x3). The guitar has an old Badass bridge/tailpiece so I don't think locking tuners are necessary. Anybody have any feelings about Gotoh/Schaller/Grover/whatever?

If ou are not familiar with this guitar, a version was illustrated in Dangerous Curves.

Joshua
Greg Robinson

Re: Upgraded Tuning Machines

Post by Greg Robinson »

My personal favorites at the moment are the Gotoh Delta 510 tuners. They are available with a 21:1 tuning ratio which I think is fantastic. Some people dislike high ratio tuners because it takes longer to bring the string up to pitch, or if they use lots of alternative tunings, but I love the finer pitch control. They also feature Gotoh's "Rock Solid" shaft technology, which seems to eliminate any trace of backlash and provides tuning stability as good as any locking tuner I've ever used.
One note though: the locking version of the 510's are junk, in my opinion. They require tools for string changes, and the mechanism is extremely fragile, I managed to break a couple of tuning posts when trying a set out. Also, the stock knobs are pretty butt-ugly in my opinion, they do seem to compliment some guitars, but look out of place on most.
If the mounting holes would match up with the existing tuners, I would highly recommend you consider them.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Dave Gentner

Post by Dave Gentner »

I agree on the Delta 510 series. They're standard on all my guitars. My customers seem to really like them.
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

Is it posible that the original notion of replacing the tuners is from a tuning instability problem caused by the nut? I see a lot of people investing money in upgraded tuners for the wrong reasons. Then again, its nice to have nice tuners on a nice guitar. Even the cheapest tuners don't slip backwards unless there is an obvious physical fault or the strings are being installed improperly. I'm a fan of the economical Grover Stay-Tites which are open back.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Mark, I agree and often see people blame the tuners and it's just a bad nut.
I'm a fan of the economical Grover Stay-Tites which are open back.
I like those tuners an awful lot myself! Now, Guitar Fetish sells a version of these tuners under the name "Wilkinson", and these are superior to the Grover ones and cheaper too. I am very impressed by these tuners. They look the same but the action is tighter and better.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Mark Swanson wrote:Mark, I agree and often see people blame the tuners and it's just a bad nut.
I'm a fan of the economical Grover Stay-Tites which are open back.
I like those tuners an awful lot myself! Now, Guitar Fetish sells a version of these tuners under the name "Wilkinson", and these are superior to the Grover ones and cheaper too. I am very impressed by these tuners. They look the same but the action is tighter and better.
As I understand it, the Wilkinson range is OEM "Grover" made in South Korea. Good stuff.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Yes, they look very close to the Grovers but they are not the same thing- they are clearly better if you ask me.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”