A bit too much off the neck

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Charles Bloss

A bit too much off the neck

Post by Charles Bloss »

I finally got the top profile cut for my first project and I let the saw get too close to my guide lines and now I have to sand out some tool marks narrowing my neck.

Right now the nut is still at 42mm but the base of the neck is going to be under 52 mm. Most of the bridges I would like to use range in the 52mm range. Do you think that this is going to be a problem or are there any smaller bridges I can switch to?
I was born with nothing and have even less today!
Michael Lewis

Re: A bit too much off the neck

Post by Michael Lewis »

You will likely be fine, but to know you should draw it out on paper at full scale. That will show you how things will or will not fit. It is good practice to draw any new design this way.
Charles Bloss

Re: A bit too much off the neck

Post by Charles Bloss »

Everything was going okay until I was cutting the top profile of the neck and I cut past my lines. After working out the tool marks with 80 grit, I ended up with a bit more then I thought. It ended up 54mm at the tail and 41mm at the nut. It should be good to go with the bridge I am planing to use.
I was born with nothing and have even less today!

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”