Backbowed Neck will not cooperate!

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Mario Kessels

Backbowed Neck will not cooperate!

Post by Mario Kessels »

Dear all,

I wish you all a happy and healthy new year. I am working on a musicman 7 string guitar with backbow in it. Obviously the trussros can only tighten so no use there.
I have been bending the neck in my jig with heat blanket up to 95C for like 30 mins or so. Looks good for a few days, but eventually there is some backbow again. What to do? Can I go higher with the temp you think??

best regards Mario
Barry Daniels

Re: Backbowed Neck will not cooperate!

Post by Barry Daniels »

I would apply the heat a bit longer (like an hour) then clamp the neck into a proper relief and let it sit for a few days before unclamping. There will always be some springback so clamp with a little more relief than you need.
MIMF Staff
Mario Kessels

Post by Mario Kessels »

Thank you Barry. I will do that. I am actually clamping with some relief during the heating proces already. Only thing I wonder is if there is a even bow along the whole neck when doing this. I have placed the blanket on app 1cm thick multiplex and the neck on top. Under the multiplex I have plec a small woodstrip to cause the bow while clamping the neck down on both sides. I think other than making a full size curved jig/ support that supports the whole neck in a radius this is the best I can do I think.
Mario Kessels

Post by Mario Kessels »

I changed the setup, i think the solution with a small inclination in the middle of the neck causes a non uniform radius. Now I made a radius in the wood underneath with a plane. Lets see with longer baking :)

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”