Kentucky Mandolin Tuning Key screw

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Elizabeth Heavner

Kentucky Mandolin Tuning Key screw

Post by Elizabeth Heavner »

I am looking for a gold colored screw for my Kentucky 1500 Mandolin tuning key.
would anyone have advice on locating this item? Thank you for your time,
LIz
Attachments
Mandolin screw.jpg
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Re: Kentucky Mandolin Tuning Key screw

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

"How difficult can it be to find one little screw?"

In the old days, you'd find a repair guy with a huge box of old machines and parts. I never had much luck with that method.

I would start with customer service at SAGAmusic.com. If they can't supply a replacement, then try to determine the manufacturer of the machines and track them down. There's a place called "Bolt Depot" in Hingham, MA that has all sorts of teeny screws, but probably not "gold" plated. Maybe brass. You'll need to determine thread size etc. This will keep you from losing the button while you continue your search.

Good luck.
Allyson Brown

Re: Kentucky Mandolin Tuning Key screw

Post by Allyson Brown »

Joshua Levin-Epstein wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:21 am "How difficult can it be to find one little screw?"

In the old days, you'd find a repair guy with a huge box of old machines and parts. I never had much luck with that method.

I would start with customer service at SAGAmusic.com. If they can't supply a replacement, then try to determine the manufacturer of the machines and track them down. There's a place called "Bolt Depot" in Hingham, MA that has all sorts of teeny screws, but probably not "gold" plated. Maybe brass. You'll need to determine thread size etc. This will keep you from losing the button while you continue your search.

Good luck.
You are absolutely correct. It's best to contact your mandolin maker before trying a remedy yourself.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”