Headstock repair

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Dick Hutchings

Headstock repair

Post by Dick Hutchings »

I have a 1980s Yamaha acoustic with a broken headstock. It appears to be cracked all the way through yet I can't get it to open by hand. I'm going to try to open it up with some clamps on the bench. Once I get it glued and clamped there's the finish touchup. Any idea what was used on these?
Dick Hutchings
Clay Schaeffer

Re: Headstock repair

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

If you can find some "water thin" super glue It will wick all the way through the crack without having to separate it. When you see the glue seeping through the other side put a clamp across the peghead until it dries. Don't wipe off the excess super glue. After it has dried thoroughly, you can lightly sand and buff the peghead to make the repair less conspicuous.
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

I have done quite a few headstock repairs (unfortunately) and have always used either AR or HHG. I did have one come to me that had been previously "repaired" with some sort of epoxy - I was able to open the seam back up and scrape most of the epoxy out, then did the repair with AR and put both a spline and a backstrap on it.

If it won't open by hand then the head plate is probably holding it (kind of like a green stick fracture) - wedge it open as best you can, work your glue up inside and camp. Let the head plate help with alignment (and one less finish repair).

I'm guessing that a 80's Yamie will be some sort of poly finish (do the lacquer thinner test) - in which case I do the best I can drop filling with CA and tell the owner that I can't refinish it. In fact I will frequently turn down a repair on poly finishes because I can't make it look to my satisfaction (give someone else the hassle)
Dick Hutchings

Post by Dick Hutchings »

Well after getting on my bench and applying what I considered, a lot of pressure, the crack didn't budge. I used super thin CA all along the crack and then kept drop filling the area where the finish was gone. The end result is very smooth and you can't tell where the CA and the finish meet. I wish that I had added a little color to the CA but I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do. Anyway, the customer is very happy with the results and that's what matters.
20210221_115244.jpg
Dick Hutchings

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”