? Strength of fiber veneer between fretboard and neck

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Peter Wilcox

? Strength of fiber veneer between fretboard and neck

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I've bound a fretboard with a darkish wood, similar in shade to the neck wood. To set it off I'd like a thin white purfling type line between the board and the neck. I should have thought of this before and attached it to the binding, but didn't. Now I'm thinking that if I glue a sheet of fiber veneer between the board and the neck, the reveal will be the thin line.
My question is, will the sheet of fiber (0.010") be a weakness that might cause the fretboard to separate from the neck at some point? Unless someone here knows, I'll do a test on scrap and tear it apart to see where it breaks.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Bob Orr

Re: ? Strength of fiber veneer between fretboard and neck

Post by Bob Orr »

Why not rout a small recess in the bottom of the edge of the fingerboard, say 1/4 inch wide, and deep enough to take the veneer or fibre. glue it in at same time as you glue fingerboard. I did this on my last one and it works well
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

The fiber is plenty strong, especially for such a large joint.
MIMF Staff
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Thanks Bob and Barry. I hesitate to try to route it hand held as it's already slotted and radiused, so maybe a good excuse to mickey-mouse a routing table. If it fails, then I can just glue it with a sheet of fiber. But it will be awhile - I still have to do the head stock before I attach the fret board.
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

If you're worried about the fiber not holding you could sandwich a piece of maple veneer between the fretboard and neck. That would be a nice contrast and keep it all wood.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Thanks Ryan - that's a good alternative. I took Bob's suggestion to heart and made a very simple routing table using a generic workmate stand. The fence pivots on a screw and clamps on the other end.
tsble-router.jpg
router-fence.jpg
This test piece has a 1/4" wide by 0.012" depth like I will do on the fretboard, but that again will be awhile until I get the headstock done.
router-test.jpg

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”