Seagull "Custom Polished Finish"

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Ryan Mazzocco

Seagull "Custom Polished Finish"

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Hey gang. So this time I have a Seagull S6 original on the bench. First of all, yes I know they aren't worth that much. We sell them at our store so I know what they're worth. But the customer really loves his guitar and is willing to pay the price I quoted. So here we go....
so, here's what happened: strap came off while he was playing and it took a neck dive. it cracked the soundboard along the edge of the fretboard. Also broke some pieces of the top under the fretboard. I figured this would not be a big deal since Seagulls have bolt-on necks. What I did not know what that several years ago they stared using epoxy. No problem (that's a lie, it was a big problem) But I got it off and made the necessary repairs. Now I want to do a little finish touch up. All I can find is that Seagull uses a "Custom Polished Finish." What does that mean? I can find no other descriptions to what this finish is. The only other reference I can find is actually a thread right here on the MIMF from 2013 that was started by me. That was about a baby Taylor finish and someone said they thought it was similar to whatever Seagull used. I know from that experience that Taylor was using an oil varnish on the baby Taylors. That's my only lead so far.
Color isn't important. I've already discussed it with the customer and they understand that repair isn't going to disappear and they don't care as long as it's playable again. I'm more concerned about compatibility. You can't normally go wrong with shellac. That's where I'm leaning right now. Thoughts?

Thanks
Ryan Mazzocco

Re: Seagull "Custom Polished Finish"

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Got the Email back from Godin. Just in case anyone else wanted to know...

"Hi Ryan,

Seagull guitars have a water based polyurethane finish.

Regards,

Michel Bélanger
support clients/customer service
Godin Guitars"

So there you have it.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Ryan, I have been using Glu-Boost products for about a year now to repair various finishes. It is amazing stuff. You can build up the area with the CA glue and then sand and buff it the following day. It works really well. They have various pigments to dye the glue to match your finish. Nothing else like it.
MIMF Staff
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

Feel your pain. Matching finishes sucks. It never hurts to try a direct call to the manufacturer who may even be nice enough to connect you with their company repair department. Taylor has done this for me on numerous occasions. Damn I dig Taylor tech support services. I wouldn't think that a company like SeaGull would be any different -- sort of the same vibe, great guitars without an attitude.

CA works great for repair and even buffing out for a gloss surface of a polyurethane finish. The gloss point during polishing and even the index of refraction is similar to the average polyurethane. But any semigloss finish is difficult to obscure.

The guitar was broken by an accident. Don't be too hard on yourself to make it go away.,

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”