Replacement Gotoh Buttons... Who/Where ?

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Paul Rattenbury

Replacement Gotoh Buttons... Who/Where ?

Post by Paul Rattenbury »

IMG_1543.jpeg
IMG_1543.jpeg (56.67 KiB) Viewed 3793 times
... for Gotoh 35G1600 tuners. I caliper'd the tuning peg... It's opening is precisely 3mm x 4mm -as the Japanese are metric and precise. Come to think of it... I think I bought these tuners from StewMac about a decade ago. But They Don't...
Please; search thru your Knob drawer and see what you can find... Six: In Black; please. Ebony or Plastic.
Where can I find a set ?
They are on a 1963 Arne Schluensen. He is in a book of Danish guitar makers... Copenhagen... Found this beauty at my local re-use-it for $65 bucks... Macassar... and dust bunny stuffing and a really ugly case. It needed some work. I learned a bit of french polish on it. Thanks to Nicole Alosinac for a new flat fret-board, bridge and neck re-set; it actually has a tiny dove-tail.
It is on the verge of destruction and I keep toying with the idea of doubling-up a fan-brace to sharpen up the highs. The low-end is pipe-organ tho'. Thanks for you time.
Attachments
IMG_1536.jpg
IMG_1540.jpeg
Bob Gramann

Re: Replacement Gotoh Buttons... Who/Where ?

Post by Bob Gramann »

You might try http://www.japarts.ca/ There’s a link on the page for email inquiries. He is very responsive. If the buttons are available from Gotoh, he will be able to find out.
David King

Re: Replacement Gotoh Buttons... Who/Where ?

Post by David King »

Bob, that's a great resource, thanks for posting it.
Paul, the Schaller buttons will fit over Gotoh shafts and work well enough. Schaller shafts are 4mm with 3.25mm between the flats. Schaller sells aftermarket wood buttons in ebony, padauk and other woods quite inexpensively. Allparts used to carry them but now they are available from Toneninja on Ebay, Reverb.com and Sporthitech's website (search for PRS phase III Gotoh). Other custom wood options come from crazyparts.de and thgknobs.com

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”