I can't find parts for this guitar...

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Kory Pevoto

I can't find parts for this guitar...

Post by Kory Pevoto »

I hope this is the right place to post this, if not please just move it to the right place instead of deleting it.

I followed the links shared with me in a previous post but could not find the parts I was for the following guitar. It is an ESP LTD F-405-FM. Where can I find replacement electronics, the nut definitely needs to be replaced as it was filed to much to compensate for the previous owners strings, and the bridge. I will post a pic just to show the specs.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1469248538181.jpg
Barry Daniels

Re: I can't find parts for this guitar...

Post by Barry Daniels »

Have you tried All Parts and Stew-Mac? You should be aware that guitars are not like cars. You can't go down to the local Auto Zone and get an alternator for a '71 Gibby. Pickups do get replaced but usually with non-original brands like DiMarzio, etc. Gibson does make original replacement, but they are about the only brand to do so.

In regards to the nut, the only way to get that done will be to take it to a local luthier who can custom make one to fit.
MIMF Staff
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

When you say "electronics" do you mean the Pre amp or the pickups and preamp. I just did a google search and the pick ups are available (from Jet.com of all places) but it looks like they don't have the 3 band EQ (I'm assuming the pre amp is volume, blend plus 3 bands). It looks like that is available from EMG as are the pick ups.

What's wrong with the bridge?
David King

Post by David King »

If the pickups are EMG 40DCs you can buy those from about any EMG dealer. Start looking on eBay for better prices. The active electronics isn't listed in the specs but one would expect them to also be from EMG, possibly their BTC or BTS.
Most parts on most basses can be replaced with generic parts although one might have to drill new holes to mount a different bridge. ESP LTD 400 series guitars are made in Indonesia but most of their parts are likely to be Korean . That same bridge will turn up on dozens of other off-brand guitars and is probably available on eBay as well.
Kory Pevoto

Post by Kory Pevoto »

Thank you all for the helpful information. Stew-Mac was the first place I looked but couldn't find the bridge or the electronics. The reason I want new electronics is simply to have a back-up set. The reason I want another bridge is because the one I have on there now has blemishes from being left in the damp cold I suppose. The guitar shows obvious signs of neglect and I want to do the best I can to restore it's original beauty.
David King

Post by David King »

A quick search on line reveals that the bass comes with an "ESP BB605" bridge. Someone on talkbass reported that the back of their bass's bridge was printed "sungil bb105" which is the Korean manufacturer's name and model number. A search for that yielded this: https://reverb.com/item/746833-sung-il- ... -105-black
The string spacing is reportedly 17mm, you might check that with a ruler to confirm. This is bottom of the barrel hardware but if it works and sounds OK so be it.

You'll need to pop the control cavity cover off the back to confirm what the electronics are. This is such a low budget bass that I have some doubts they put an actual EMG preamp in there. Here are the likely candidates for comparison if it is a domestically produced EMG preamp:
http://www.emgpickups.com/accessories/b ... ntrol.html
http://www.emgpickups.com/accessories/b ... ystem.html
EMG might have also designed the preamp for offshore production to save money. There are dozens of Korean companies that produce the high volume import lines and it's often very difficult to track back to the OEM without some better clues

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”