difficult side crack

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Mario Kessels

difficult side crack

Post by Mario Kessels »

Hello fellow guitar people,

I got a challenging repair where I could use some advice. I got a Martin with a sidecrack, 15-20 cm. Its a nice clean crack which normally doesnt cause to many repair issues but this crack is right along the kerfing. I cannot put the normal inside reinforcement. Putting a reinforcement right in the corner of the side-kerfing isnt really an option either i think unless I put a large amount of epoxy or so which looks wrong.
What would you do?
greeting from Holland
David King

Re: difficult side crack

Post by David King »

Is the crack against the top or the back?
It seems like you might be able to remove the section of lining and replace it with a taller lining or double the section of side under the lining and put back the same style of lining.
Mario Kessels

Post by Mario Kessels »

the problem is that its really hard to remove the kerfing in a decent manner working through the soundhole. Otherwise that would be the easy solution.
Ron Belanger

Post by Ron Belanger »

Maybe just remove 3 or four pieces of lining and put in longer pieces to cleat the crack.
David King

Post by David King »

I would just glue it the best you can with HHG and maybe double the area with parchment paper on the inside.
A fussy way would be to drill small holes, say 1mm, from the top or back through the binding and through the lining blocks and insert dowels of hard wood and then fill the holes in the binding. I just don't see the point. If it breaks again it will be someone else's problem ;-).

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”